1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird vintage brooch

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Angie57, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Angie57

Angie57 Registered Guest

Good afternoon. Has anybody ever come across a vintage brooch like this? It has no markings so probably brass, but the weird thing is the green insert is like sandpaper? Last pic is a close up of the insert. Thanks.

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The first photo reminds me of sea glass. But in the close up, it does not as it seems to have a lots of specks in it?

GemGem likes this.
  3. Angie57

Angie57 Registered Guest

Yes Barbara, it is like grains of sand. Must admit my first thought was that it was a portable emery board :duh2:

poppysvintageclothing and GemGem like this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Possibly is sea glass, and if so it looks very very old as in ancient thousand year old (or older) glass.

Angie57 likes this.
  5. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I've been staring at the pic since you posted it, and my first thought was ancient Roman glass, similar to what Barbara has suggested, although these recent pieces are almost always set in sterling silver, so I'm hesitating.

I'm guessing that the setting of your brooch isn't silver -- would that be correct? Any marks anywhere?

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i don't mean this in any sort of disrespectful way, because it is a very visually appealing pin, but it reminds me of some of those kits in the 1960s that had a variety of tiles and stones in different colors and textures to make craft wall hangings. meaning, in a very long-winded way, that maybe it dates to the 1960s possibly?? just an idea...

Angie57 and Metro Retro Vintage like this.
  7. Angie57

Angie57 Registered Guest

I do think now that it was probably made by my late mother-in-law so that era would be about right. Thank you.