1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What date are these Levis?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Shaun, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Shaun

Shaun Registered Guest

Hi, My dad has passed me down some vintage Levis from his youth and I was wondering if anyone knew what these numbers mean as I'd love to find out the date of them, Thanks!
    IMG_4744.JPG IMG_4745.JPG

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It seems the Silvertab was 90s line, which was revived again in 2018 according to Levi's: https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/blog/article/silvertab-is-back/

Can we see a full image of the jeans to see their shape please? And does it say anywhere on a label where they were manufactured? These things may offer some clues as well. The label you are showing seems to show the model number (541) first, as well as the size at the end - W34 L32, the rest I am unfortunately not sure about. These numbers may denote any kind of thing.

Vintage Linens Lover likes this.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Registered Guest

Thanks! I've uploaded some more pics of the jeans full length if that'll help...
    2fIPuOKPTkaAf45MfinBCA.jpg O6UzmObfQbSn6xUazlC9OA.jpg uQrHe2H5TXq93IFZMPFD3A.jpg
    E+v6R7seRXOCqSDucNhUpw.jpg fOURvKlNSWSNJAkTj4rgdw.jpg

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Karin's link shows silver tab launched in 1988.

Midge likes this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I've had another look into this... Levi's is not making it easy with those reissues! When I look up vintage Silver Tab jeans on Ebay etc., they have different lables. Can't seem to find the modern ones on Levis.com, and modern 541s seem to have the classic brown "leather" label with the drawing with the two horses. Upon further digging I have seen one pair of 541 Silver Tabs on ebay that was listed as "vintage" but no further clue given as to their age, they have the same back waist label as yours but a different one inside... it's not clear until when they made the original Silver Tab jeans either. Regarding the term vintage, we use the 20 year rule to define if something is vintage (same as Etsy), so an item would have to be 20 years old at least to be vintage.

6. Shaun

Shaun Registered Guest

thank you!!

7. Vintage Linens Lover

Vintage Linens Lover Registered Guest

Hi Levi had two versions of Silver Tabs one was a baggy fit and one was a loose fit. I think one was labeled 540 and the other 560 but I am not positive about the 540 number. I used to wear them all the time and maybe still have a pair somewhere. Silver Tabs were popular in the 90's. I managed a clothing store from 1992 -1996 based out of seattle. We sold tons of Levis. You can always call Levi Strauss Customer service: 1 (800) 872-5384 and they will help you out.
    tp

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  8. Diego Garcia

Diego Garcia Registered Guest

Hey, I also collect SilverTabs. I believe the section of numbers (0992) on the label refers to the month and year that pair was produced 09/1992. Every pair of SilverTabs that I own have this section of numbers translating to the production date. The oldest pair I own are from 1995.

9. 1992 sounds about right. I'm not much of a jeans wearer but I did have a pair of jeans in that year that had this silhoutte.