1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do ya think... suit? or Waitress uniform?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by polyesterchesters, Jan 6, 2005.

1. polyesterchesters

polyesterchesters Registered Guest

I have had this for a time and have never listed bacause I am still debating whether or not this is a 50's suit or a 50's waitress uniform.....

Metal zipper up the side of the skirt and the material feels like a poly rayon. Made by Lenbarry. What do you think? am I right on the date?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

so you have a shot of the label?

to me the collar looks 70s, but i might not be making out the picture correctly it looks a little fuzzy (resolution to me) but then it might be my computer. i may have to reboot.

3. Those buttons and those pockets aren't saying 70s to me. I am getting more of a 50's or very early 60s feel from it - but I'm not getting much later. It doesn't quite look suit-ish so I am going to have to go with uniform of some type. Not exactly waitress, perhaps factory.

Have you done a search on the label name?

Cheers ~ Maureen

4. Patentleathershoes

maybe the collar was throwing me off, but I am sure Maureen is correct. I have also seen similar pockets on things much later that were regular stret clothes, but would make sense if they were earlier if they were utilitarian. I am used to thiking of waitress uniforms one piece, or with a shorter skirt or pants.

5. polyesterchesters

polyesterchesters Registered Guest

The label is almost shredded... that's why no pic. I did reseach Lenbarry, and saw some 50's dresses. NOthing like this. It is pink with green stripes. The feel of the material is what says uniform to me. Just seems easy to clean and spill on!

I am assuming that as a uniform, this would be more desireable. Am I correct?

6. Patentleathershoes

Depends on whose looking. Yup, it would get way more interest as a uniform. For re-enactors, collectors. Maybe even as a costume. Would you suppose someone would wear this in a soda shop...plenty of room for order pad and ice cream scoop in the pockets maybe...

The shorter one piece "diner" type uniforms can sometimes go way up there as far as price as it has a crossover to the same market that likes the flight attendent uniforms, the vinyl aproms and the "naughty nurse" costumes if you know what I mean.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks middly-late 40s to me because of the big patch pockets, 3 button low front, length of sleeves with turn back cuffs and lenght and shape of skirt. Could it be a rayon or even nylon? They started coming out with all sorts of synthetic materials in the late 40s and nylon was the first one they started experimenting with...

And I don't think its a waitress uniform as the pockets would be useless under an apron. I think its a summer dress.

8. Patentleathershoes

oh boy was i wrong this time! i am so clueless. if its not a suit, i am pretty lost on 40s (except for accessories)

9. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Chris, I was thinking 70s summer suit too, because of the collar, which to me looks more 70s......so don't feel bad! :)

Sue