1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What era do you suppose this Vintage Aigner is from?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by melindamilkshake, Sep 9, 2010.

1. melindamilkshake

melindamilkshake Registered Guest

2. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

tough to tell without being able to handle it and see the interior. could be anywhere from 60s through 80s, but just from this shot (lovely photo, btw) looks 60s or 70s.

do you have an interior shot?

3. melindamilkshake

I do have a shot of the interior logo:

[​IMG]

4. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

that helps :)

definitely not 80s. either 60s or 70s.

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

That is a really cute bag, and I think 60s.

6. I'm going with '70s!

Nicole

7. melindamilkshake

Thank you , everyone, for taking the time to reply!

It's a tough one!

8. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

9. Something doesn't "look " right with the logo. All of the older ones that I have had have been in script letters, not block.

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

11. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

I have a 70's Coat and bag both have script.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

13. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i'm going to go with late 60s/early 70s cusper. the font is definitely deco-inspired and there was a big deco revival at the time.

14. I am still suspicious of that font as every one that I have seen always has the Etienne included somewhere.
    BTW, the company has reissued some of their 60s styles.

15. joules

joules VFG Member

16. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I agree about the font - maybe a reissued 60's bag?

17. melindamilkshake

Could it be that this is a Aigner rather than an Etienne Aigner?

The way I understand it, and please do give me the full scoop if you have it, the brand was taken over by Heiner Rankl in 1965 and then went international. Prior to that it was a different label.

What do you think?

18. melindamilkshake

The bag does definitely appear aged to me....

19. joules

joules VFG Member

I think your theory has a great deal of merit. That has to be an older bag; judging by the zipper, the look of the leather, and the style itself. I'm firmly in the 60's with this purse.

20. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I'm sure this is original and not a re-issue, not only because of the aged look of the bag, but I've had at least one re-issue, maybe two, and they are not as well made as the originals, and at least mine was made in China. This looks too nice to be a re-issue. And if it is from the predecessor firm of the current company, it must be very near to when the change took place. I was firmly in the 60s camp, thinking it might be mid to late 60s, but if it's from the older firm, it's gotta be '64 or '65--I can't see it being much earlier. It looks similar to some firmly "mod" bags I've had. I would say this isn't "quite" mod, but perhaps an inspiration look for some of the boxy mod bags with handles.