1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the first name on this signature?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, Jan 18, 2016.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi all!

I'm going slightly cross eyed from this first name on this label, I see S and then e n e and St. John. It's a knitwear piece so googling anything brings up St. John.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance! 2016-01-18 16.49.31.jpg

morning-glorious likes this.
  2. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Hi, Carla! I've been staring at this since you posted it, and it's making me batty. The only possibly helpful thought I have is that the first letter of the first name is not at all the same shape/style as the S in the last name. I'm thinking it's possible that the first name starts with another letter (J and F are two possibilities to my eye). Good luck!

carla rey likes this.
  3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Thanks Robin!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I see Selene.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It looks like Shane to me, but I couldn't find that name online--other than an eBay seller with a garment with the same label interpreted it as Shane, too.

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I wonder if the 2nd word isn't SJohn?

carla rey likes this.
  7. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

8. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

The ebay claim seems iffy to me... Is your garment early 1960s (when St. John was founded)?

I agree with Robin that the first letter of the name isn't an S. An M, maybe?

Irene or Marlene make sense with the last three letters of the name, but don't really fit the rest of it!

Robin of Frocksley and carla rey like this.
  9. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

The piece is very 80s. Knit jumpsuit with shoulder pads so I can rule early 60s out.

10. Shygarden

Shygarden Alumni

I remember seeing this label years ago and being told it was St. John. Wayne is the first word I think, or I've seen it referred to Wayne I should say :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  11. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

hmmm curious.

It has all the hallmarks of a st john piece; good quality rayon knit, chic styling, enamel buttons, primary color. I'll photograph it soon.

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

After reading Carrie's suggestion that the first letter might be an 'M' I looked at it again and realized the first letter does not look like the 'S' in the 'St' and it could be an 'M' that overlaps half the rest of the name. After more searching I think it is very possible and likely the first name is Marie--as in Marie St. John Gray. I think what looks like an 'n' is 'ri' where the 'r' is written not like a script 'r' but like a printed 'r.' The 'h'- or 'k'-looking thing is the most unclear, but I think it is the leading edge of the cursive 'a.' I will continue to look for evidence of a trademark for Marie St.John, but most of the puzzle pieces we are bringing up here seem to fit that conclusion.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  13. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

14. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

Glad the ebay claim was correct--

carla rey likes this.
  15. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

So, according to that guide, the label is 80s/90s, which fits your dating of the piece--hooray!

carla rey likes this.
  16. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

And thank you to everyone that helped with this one! YAY!

17. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

A good addition for the label resource!

18. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am afraid I won't be entirely convinced until I can see government trademark confirmation, as the eBay page is someone else's opinion, too, and I have seen two other eBay pages with other attributions for the label. It is a tough one, isn't it?

EDITED TO ADD: I didn't mean to sound like such a curmudgeon. I should have said without proof/citations/references/footnotes, etc. the information on the eBay page remains someone else's opinions, too.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    cmpollack and carla rey like this.
  19. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

OK, NOW I'll believe it (click on word NOW to see all). The mark here, from Trademarkia, is not exactly identical, but if you look at the link, you can see there were other Marie St. John trademarks, but they are not pictured. Close enough to convince me, though. I see now, too, that the mysterious 'h' or 'k' was actually the second half of the M...
    image.jpeg

20. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member