1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is this coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by little edie, Oct 28, 2014.

1. little edie

little edie Registered Guest

Hello everyone,
    I really loves this coat as seen in Mad Men. I would like to know what style of coat it's called and if it is Boho or hippie. I know the coat was featured in episode that takes place in the late 60s early 70s. I would also like to know if this style was popular in the early 70s.
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Don't know proper name but is a suede type and definitely popular in early 1970s.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

These were very popular in the early 1970s, especially circa 1969-1972. They were most commonly referred to as Afghan coats, but had other name as well. And yes, they are most definitely Hippie coats!

The one in your photos looks a bit "run of the mill", and as if it may be trimmed with fake fur, as it is not so silky or lush as most of the ones I have seen, and the coat is made of what looks like a synthetic velveteen fabric, but it is impossible to be sure from just a photo.

4. Yes, I agree with Barbara: it looks like a velvet or velveteen trimmed with either faux or real sheepskin. I've only heard them called Afghan coats too and associate them with very late '60s to early '70s hippies. They're often all sheepskin, with the fur on the inside and the suede on the outside, with the fluffy wool appearing at the openings. and quite heavy.

This one has velvet/velveteen suggesting the wool is faux.

The last few seasons of Mad Men are set in the late '60s, it doesn't go into the '70s but they do take some liberties with costume accuracy.

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

yes, afghan coat. True afghan coats were embroidered real sheepskin, and came from Afghanistan, but as the style became popular they were made in other countries and sometimes of faux fur, as this one appears to be.

They were partly popularised by the Beatles in the late 60s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PersonalPursuits likes this.
  6. little edie

little edie Registered Guest

Thanks everyone for helping me find out more about this groovy coat. I also had someone tell me that some of these coats also don't have labels which makes tracking them down a little bit more harder, and I have only seen maybe one or two good examples online.
    I really really appreciate everyone's awesome answers.

7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

There was a revival of this style in the early 2000s around the time the movie "Almost Famous" came out, in which Kate Hudson's character Penny Lane wore a long version of the coat through most of the movie.

8. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Yes! a popular search term for some of these coats are "Penny Lane" or "Penny Lane Coat"