1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this fabric?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bluebutterfly, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Registered Guest

I have a number of old fabrics from the 1940's-1960's that I've been trying to identify, specifically the type of fabric they are made of and if this is a particular style? These panels were removed from an old travel trailer and are probably at least as old as the 1950's and possibly somewhat earlier. They were valances for longer drapes of the same design/fabric. The fabric is quite colorful, and the flower pattern is raised, like a raised thread, sort of an embroidery look. I'd almost call it "nubby" but not sure if that's the right word. They are really cool, retro looking, somewhat "southwestern" in appearance. The fabric is rather heavy - the full drapes are rather weighty. vintagepanels5a.jpg Thanks for any input or feedback!

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Could you show a closer view of the weave of the plain part of the fabric and the back of it, also?

Thanks!

3. bluebutterfly

Here's photo of a close up view the plain part of the fabric, a photo of the underside of the fabric (showing the colors), and a plain view underside. Hopefully that gives more info as to the weave and exactly what this is. vintagepanels5ab.jpg vintagepanelreverse1a.jpg vintagepanelreverse2a.jpg

4. Linn

Thank you for the additional pictures. The only thing I can come up with is that the fabric itself appears to be a Jacquard weave - possibly a Jacquard knit, and I think the floral and geometric borders may have been hand applied to the valance. Do they appear on the draperies - and if so where? If you still have the draperies could you show them. The colored threads look like wool or heavy cotton and the rest of the fabric looks like cotton or a cotton blend to me. What does it "feel" like and does it have any odor ?

5. bluebutterfly

Thanks so much for your feedback! Here's a couple of pics of the drapes - I have four panels. I took a pic of two of the panels so you can get an idea of what they look like. I suspect this was fabric that someone purchased and they made these curtains. The bottoms are somewhat different hemmed lengths. The design is the same on the drapes, so it appears to be a manufactured fabric, not hand applied designs. The fabric is a bit nubby, although not super rough. The fabric is a mild musty odor although not much, considering that it has been stored in a box for many years. I agree that the threads look like a wool or cotton. It feels that way to the touch. The pattern in the rest of the cotton or cotton blend (the plain part) seems interesting, like a diamond pattern or something. I guess I'm wondering if this is a rare type of fabric or pattern? Has anyone seen fabric like this before or a pattern like it? curtains1a.jpg curtains2a.jpg

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I suspect the different hem lengths is because the two pieces were possibly cut from one roll, and they wanted the pattern to hang at the same level when completed.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

That is a very cute fabric. It is not rare (since you asked), and I actually have come across it, or a fabric similar, several times over the years. I dated mine to around the 1950s time period. The background was usually a cotton or cotton blend, and like yours would be called simply a brocade weave. The woven through colored yarns are usually wool. The ones I have seen were all machine made, no hand work. All had the same colors, but sometimes a different pattern. Yours is a medium weight upholstery fabric, a brocade weave, with jacquard woven colored yarns.

Cute and mid century "folksy"!

8. Linn

Thank you for the additional photos. I agree it's all machine made (woven) dates to C. 1950's and has a "Country/Mid-Century "folksy" feeling, not rare and cute!

9. bluebutterfly

wow, thank you SO MUCH for giving me more information, very appreciated. You've described this fabric perfectly, and it definitely has the weight of upholstery fabric. And yes, it is very cute, the colors are so vibrant! It would look great displayed in a rustic cabin or a setting where the colors could really come alive or even used in a quilt. And even though perhaps not rare in the true sense of the world, I would think there's not a lot of this original fabric still out there. I've never seen any at thrift stores or anywhere else. I kept it a long long time simply because I loved the look of it so much!

10. bluebutterfly

thank you for your help! indeed, it definitely has the mid-century feeling! Fabrics from that era are so amazing in their colors and styles!