1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this purse??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ashcarp77, Oct 28, 2019.

1. ashcarp77

ashcarp77 Registered Guest

I bought this purse at my local goodwill a few days ago. I think it is super cool and it is definitely unique for the area I live in. There are no tags to easily identify the maker and after searching google forever and not finding anything I thought I would reach out and see if anyone could shed some light.... and when I say searched google forever I mean I was looking at everything from how to identify a garment by the zipper to maker's marks.... which I have included a pic of what could possibly be a maker's mark... may only be the maker of the purses clasp but even that might help to find more info about the purse.
    Also there was a ticket stub in the purse which I found was in Greece... I've added a pic of that as well. Sorry for blabbing and Thank you for reading!!

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I can't see much on that mark on the clasp - I don't think that's a maker's mark.

It has a slightly equestrian feel - that shape is often called a saddle bag. The main colour is often called oxblood.

It may not be by a well-known maker, of course. It's very nice!

MyVintageCocktail likes this.
  4. ashcarp77

Yeah I was thinking 80s or 90s...

5. ashcarp77

The mark on the clasp looks like a bird sitting on a tree branch... of course I was always good at making shapes in the sky on a cloudy day!! And I was thinking maybe it was handmade by someone unknown due the look of the stitching. I thought saddle bag too... but wasnt sure if possible messenger because of the pen pocket on the inside!! And I will add oxblood as color to my search efforts... thank you so much for your info!!

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I see 80s, too, and it looks very nicely made. The oxblood color makes me think it's early 80s, as that color was very popular in the 70s. I think you could call it a saddle-bag type of messenger bag. I can't tell, of course, without an "in-person" examination, but it might be genuine eelskin. The pattern looks to be irregular rather than a static, repeating one. But I'm no expert in skins, either and could be way off.