1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your ALL TIME FAVORITE Fashion style?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by latebloomers, May 5, 2004.

1. latebloomers

latebloomers Registered Guest

Mine is the classic Marilyn Monroe white halter dress. That halter style is so fantastically flattering - elongates the neck and arms, accentuates the bust, shows off your shoulders, and that twirly full circle skirt hides rather large derrieres.

I want mine in ruby red. :D

How about you?

2. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Hmmmm, there are a few fashion eras that I like. LOL, all of them antique though.
    I like the Regency slimline high waisted styles of the early 19th century and then the early 1910's slimline full busted styles which were influenced by Regency fashion.
    As a complete contrast, the 1860's when the cage crinoline was at it's fullest, also appeals to me! :)

Lei

3. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

Hmmm, that's a toughie. I was browsing through the Kyoko Fashion Institute book last night, and was soooo in love with the Asian influenced capes from the late teens and the 20's. Then, I was looking at Mdme. Gres and her draped dresses and fell in love again. THEN, I looked at Dior's New Look and was in love. Then, I looked at some old Chanel suits and was wildly in love again. Then, I was checking out the British boutique movment and loved those. I'm just fickle I guess.
    joey

4. latebloomers

Oh yes, there are sooo many wonderful styles throughout the ages. Maybe I should amend the question to help narrow it down a bit.

What is your all time favorite fashion style for flattering, accentuating, or even flattening YOUR body, and why?

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I go in cycles and so many of the fashions I love to
    look at for both the styles, fabrics and the embellishments.

For wearing and what suits me best though, I seem to
    revert to the bohemian, Stevie Nicks type garments that
    I wore a lot in the 70s. Semi-structured clothing with a unique artsy renaissancey feel in deep rich colours and fabrics.

I lie...Iwish that was what I could still wear....lately it has been jeans and tee-shirts. :(

Sue

6. latebloomers

LOL, Sue, I am speaking ideally of course.

You gotta know I am not standing over the vents at the Piggly Wiggly in my imaginary Marilyn dress, right? Well, I just might if I had one. Course then my husband would insist on going grocery shopping with me in fears that all the bag-boys would be consumed with uncontrolable lust and follow me home.

Hey, now that I think of it I believe I will find my fantasy dress and wear it when I am in need of the BIG, HEAVY stuff. Maybe then DH will go with me and carry out all the groceries for me. ;)

7. artisannes

artisannes VFG Member VFG Past President

Well for day it is undoubtedly the huge circle skirt with a crinoline - so it could be a skirt or a 50's shirtwaister, a new look suit or Hawaiian big skirted Shaheen.

By night I also preference the huge skirt.

And why you may enquire?

Hides the huge bum and makes my waist look teensy :)

So that is why I am a sucker for Dior and Fath

8. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

In real life, I don't wear much vintage on an everyday basis. Phoenix is a strictly laid back town in terms of dress. I do wear those great Mexican dresses and hippie tops when it's warm (which is most of the time) and my purse and, often, shoes, are vintage. I wear lots of vintage silver jewelry too.
    When I DO dress up, I have a large collection of kimonas and Stevie Nicks type tunics in silks and velvets that I wear..usually over a simple black dress or black pants. I guess I tend towards the bohemian.
    Although I seldom get a chance, I do have 4 or 5 Chanel influenced vintage suits that I accessorize with vintage slingbacks and a Chanel bag.
    In winter, I have collected a lot of vintage jackets which I usually pair with jeans and boots (esp. vintage ankle boots).
    I DO wear a lot of vintage sleepwear..bias cut Harlow type 30s gowns and men's silk dressing gowns. Hubby loves them.
    joey

9. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Joey, if I was living near you, I'd be raiding your closet!

Sue:)

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I don't think I even have to mention it for you all to know :P

Chris

11. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I absolutely Love 40's Suits. You know - the Joan Crawford tailored style with all the cool details.

tailored looks especially great on me for some reason.

My daily "look" is usually a 40's jacket worn with newish jeans. And cowgal boots. Even in summer, I wear the boots at work. They're comfy & make me look put together, or so I think.

For night (other than sweats & pjs, which is the usual), it depends on the occasion.

For dinner I like 40's - early 50's suits & dresses. i don't really care for big skirts on me. I don't know why. I prefer garments cut more on the straight side. 40's dresses also look great on me. Maybe I was born too late.

Another thing I do for nite is wear an evening jacket or top with dress slacks or good jeans. Like I said - depends on the occasion. I wore 70's bellbottom jeans with a beaded shell to the Eric Clapton concert awhile back. With a 60's mantilla as a shawl. And "new" platforms.

I like to think outside of the box. ;)

12. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

:P Sue, I would be raiding your closet. It sounds as if we have the same taste in clothes!
    joey

13. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

My favorite looks are the bias wonders of Madeleine Vionnet. I don't think I've ever seen a dress by her that I just did not adore.

As for what looks good on me, I'm short, and I've always loved the short Mod look.

But, I've just found a 50s cutie that fits me so well that I'm going to wear it. I'm saving it for the last day of school; I just can't decide about wearing lots of petticoats. At any rate, the kids are going to love it, and it may be a whole new look for me!

Lizzie