1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of fur is this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dusty Butterfly, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Dusty Butterfly

Dusty Butterfly VFG Member

Hello! This is a suede (faux?) coat. I'm not sure of the decade yet - possibly 70s or 90s. It has 2 lengths of fur that seem to be of-a-piece. The shorter areas feel like rabbit but since that shares the same pelt as the longer areas, which clearly isn't rabbit, I'm leaning toward fox/sheared fox. Is there a fox fur in this calico/spotted variety? It's very soft & downy to the touch. I'm new with identifying fur so I've been reading up but haven't been able to find this exact variety except for 1 pic that is an actual fox with these colors, but no coats or trim like this one. If not fox what could it be? IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1731.jpg Any help appreciated thanks! -Deirdre

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Deidre,

The collar and cuffs are lynx fur.

3. Dusty Butterfly

Aha! Thank you so much Caryn!!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Dusty Butterfly

Merci beaucoup! ;)

6. Lovely coat. It looks 70s to me.

7. Dusty Butterfly

Thank you Bonnie! I'm leaning towards 90s atm because the faux suede is very good quality & so realistic that it's hard to tell it's faux looking & touching. I don't think there was such a thing in the 70s, still checking on that though. At any rate it's definitely 70 style ')

8. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Oh! I am sorry. I missed that you needed help with dating. Bonnie's right. It does date to the 70s.

Dusty Butterfly likes this.
  9. Dusty Butterfly

I believe it's ultrasuede & I was just reading that ultrasuede/microfiber was invented in 1970. I ran across mentions of it used in designer clothing in the 70s, but as a woman of a certain age, I don't remember it being used in common clothing when I was a teeny bopper in the 70s. The fake leather & suede back then was not very realistic at all. So now I'm thinking if it was made in the 70s it could be a designer piece & I did purchase it from the estate of a wealthy family. But alas, no tags! I haven't completely ruled out 90s yet though.

10. I think I still have mine from the 70s....brown suede with fox fur collar and cuffs!