1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What measurements make up Plus or Queen size?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by fuzzylizzie, Mar 2, 2005.

1. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I'm asking mainly because of this month's VTA. What would be the minimum measurements that would still be plus size?

2. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

With my stuff in the Mall I've taken a rough guide as being a Bust size 39£ and over, and a shoe (USA) size 9.

3. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

LOL, I would hardly call a 39" bust plus size! That was my size AFTER I got a breast reduction and I thought I was skinny then! :P

I'd consider a bust of 40"- 44" bust to be regular large and extra large and 46" and up being plus size. Waist 36" and up plus size.

Lei

4. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

OOOps! that should have read 38"....which of course here in UK is merely svelte-like!!! LOL

I always used to list items 38/40" bust as regular sizing on ebay, until I had a couple of messages telling me they would be better listed as Plus size, so I've stuck with that ever since.

I think the VTA description for this theme suggests size 14 upwards - which is a UK 16 upwards??

5. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

That is weird that people would think of a 38" bust as a plus size
    as that is only about a US 10/12- hardly massive at all. Of course I could go into how society has a distorted view of body sizes ( a sore point of mine)! :rolleyes:

>I think the VTA description for this theme suggests size 14 upwards - which is a UK 16 upwards??

Yeah that sounds right. My clothes that I still have from Canada say 14 or 16 but over here it's always 16 or 18 I take. UK sizes are about 1 size up from US sizes.

I looking forward to seeing all the lovely things that go up as I need some retail therapy and modern clothes just don't cut it :)

Lei

6. Laura

Laura Alumni

Yes, in the US size 14 is officially considered plus size. However, it's borderline, and you see 14 clothing in regular and plus-size stores.

Fudging based on how a 14 fits my figure, I'd say the size 14 measurements are approximately:

Bust 40"
    Waist 32"
    Hips 42"

There should be a size chart available somewhere....

Laura

7. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I find though that a 14 (UK 16) in a "normal" store and a 14 (UK16) in a "plus" size store fit differently though. The 14's (UK 16's) in the plus size shop tend to be made generally broader. I've got a 42" bust/34" waist/43" hips and plus size just hangs shapelessly off me while in a "reg" shop, it's a proper fit.

I think when it comes to differentiating between a plus and regular size, you have to gage the proportions of the garment.
    I find for myself too that things in plus size shops tend to be made alot shorter than stuff in the regular shops. Being 5'9" doesn't help matters much anyways, but I just barely get away with the length of things in "regular" shops while plus sized things make me look like I've outgrown my clothes! :P

Lei

8. Laura

Laura Alumni

Yes, that is true. Proportionally, they are made for a fuller figure than a regular 14. Larger cup size (not just bigger circumference) and more hip room, I believe.

I've never noticed that, but Lane Bryant (plus size store in US - do you have it, Lei?) offers Short, Average and Tall lengths in their pants.

Laura

9. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Nope, no Lane Bryants over here I'm afraid!
    There are very few places which do tall sizes over here. Gap used to do a 14 tall in jeans but when I went to get some a few weeks ago, the salesgirl said that the UK Gaps aren't carrying the 14 talls anymore as (and these are her exact words) "are a rare size"... What????!!!!!!! If your tall your only allowed to have supermodel proportions?? LOL, I would hardly call my shape "rare" or maybe it's because I collect rare things?? :D

Lei

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Gayle had said after i asked that she is considering a size 14 in Canada, and put up anything that measures 36-30- and i forgot the hippage or bigger. To me the clothes are cut baggier so someone who is a 6 might wear something with flat meaures 38/40 nowadays.

I guess she is looking for "wearable sizes".

I was a bit confused myself.

11. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

I beg to differ as a size 14 in Canada is definitely not a plus size!!!
    I am talking about the 14's today not a vintage 14.

We have an entire department dedicated to the larger woman and I would say that this starts at size 18 and up.....

I also would say that a 38 bra is not a plus size either and plus would start at 40!!

You can even find size 16's which fit very small and fit like a 14......Its all over the board.....

The only reason I am saying this is I take a size 14 to 16 depending on the cut of the garment....If I swing over to the Plus size department in ladies wear, this stuff is too large....

The 14 to 16 is to accomodate my football shoulders as I just take a run of the mill size L for slacks, shorts, capris etc and this is because I don't have large hips or a big toosh!

Nanc