1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What my mom made me for Christmas

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't believe it... knowing that I like to use vintage slips as nightgowns, my mom made me the ultimate luxury slip/nightgown from a 1940s pattern! It's silk (but washable :)) and she even made the side opening with a row of small snaps.

slip.jpg butterick.jpg

The funny thing is, she bought the pattern at the pre-Christmas antiques fair here. I was looking through a box of patterns and actually pointed this out to her, but didn't buy it as it was a little on the large side for me, and I had seen something else that was of more interest to me - a skirt pattern. And while I was occupied with looking through the sellers actual vintage lingerie, my mom bought the pattern :hysterical:. After all she has my measurements and knew what to do... she's experienced enough, though she admits it's the first time she used an unprinted pattern and took a little time to get used to that.

Karin

AnnDemeu likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is so sweet...she certainly is a fine seamstress! It's a lovely slip and such a wonderful gift from a mother to her daughter!:wub:

3. joules

joules VFG Member

How pretty! Love the color.
    You're all set for some luxurious lounging, wearing this.
    That was really sweet of her.

4. cozmicstar

cozmicstar Registered Guest

Beautiful!

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

what a lucky lucky girl you are! and what a fab mom!! :wub:

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Karin does have a fab Mom & what a gorgeous gown :USETHUMBUP:

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

8. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Karin, you are one lucky gal to have had you mom make that for you- it looks beautifully done too, and such a pretty colour. :)

9. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Aww... what a sweet gift for you Mom to make for you. It's lovely!

10. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

The slip is beautiful. How thoughtful of your mom to do that for you. Sweet and very talented!

11. Lucky you Karin - and how nice of your mum!

Great pattern, you could easily make a great evening gown out of that longer pattern - perhaps your mum might want to do a bit more sewing?

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Nicole, I thought that too - only I already have so many pieces of (vintage) evening wear and not enough occasions to wear it :). The opera here has a new management, and they're not putting on a lot of interesting things - one less opportunity.​

Karin​