1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of dress is this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Hey guys I got this dress that looks very 1970s to me and has a heavy synthetic fabric no serged seams but a plastic zipper down the back. What would this style be considered? It has a full spread skirt when laid flat and a tight waist is it an empire cut? I need to know so I can list it appropriately. Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

This is an a-line sheath dress. 60s/70s

7ofCups likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a very attractive dress, and I love the color. It is not really an Empire waist, I see a waist seam at the natural waistline. Does that seam go around to the back?

To me, it is not a sheath dress, as those would not have a full skirt.

You might call it a wide waist, full skirted dress in the skater style. Skater dress seems to be a popular style now too. Although your dress is a bit longer than a true skater, it has a very similar silhouette.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree it is not a sheath, and that it does not have an Empire waist I was not familiar with the term "skater dress" so I Googled it. I have seen this type of dress with a fitted top and flared shirt called "fit and flare".

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd call it fit and flare as well - definitely no empire waist. A skater dress IMHO has a full circle skirt or at least very nearly a full circle - the skirt of this dress isn't wide enough. I first came across the term in 2010 when I bought a dress at Sportsgirl in Australia that was called just that.