1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of pants are these?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jared, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jared

jared Registered Guest

[​IMG]

Your help is appreciated!

2. Flares?

He's cute :)

Nicole

3. jared

jared Registered Guest

Well, I was hoping someone could elaborate a little more than that, haha. He is Ron Asheton and he played guitar like a thug in The Stooges. Unfortuantly he died in January at the age of 60.

4. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

I think they're not quite big enough to be bellbottoms, technically, but may get sold that way on eBay now and then. Flares because they flare from below the knee rather than graduating in size from above the knee downward. Almost a modern day boot cut.

Good luck finding some!! I have some cool flares and bells on etsy but only womens (though they may fit a smaller man)....

Ang

5. jared

jared Registered Guest

Cool, thanks for that. I think I should of worded my original post different. What I really like about these pants is the design and would like to find a pair that look really similar.

6. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

7. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Ahhh, gotcha. I would say they look Eastern European, though likely hunting that online would prove fruitless. I'd try like Carrie said and hunt ethnic, native american or even just print to see what prints you can find.

Good luck!

And ps the Stooges kicked arse.

Ang

8. the stooges, iggy pop? , id try the granny takes a trip label, they made clothing for lots of bands, or even, worn by lots of bands,id say they were bell bottoms rather than flares,but cool pants indeed

9. Cool pic, cool pants! We called them bell bottoms too in our neck of the woods back in the day.

10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I remember bell bottoms like that! I had a great striped pair of jeans in tan and brown, not as ethnic as the ones here, but they rocked nonetheless.
    I think a search for vintage pants like these is going to be very tough. Your best bet might be to have a pair made. A quick search for "ethnic stripe fabric" turned up a few things with a similar vibe. Sewing jeans takes more skill than just sewing pants, because of the flat felled seams, so it would be easier with a light weight fabric than a denim or canvas.

11. avamac

avamac Alumni

They were called hiphugger bell bottoms, and are sailor-cut, like Wayfarers. UNISEX in the day.

I'm scouring my feeble memory for the common brands that made these...will post IF I can dredge a name up...

12. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i remember these too and we did call them bellbottoms.

ethnic would probably work as a keyword to find them, and don't forget 'hippie.' or 'hippy' for those who don't know how to spell it.

13. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

landlubber was another popular brand, back when.

14. avamac

avamac Alumni

Maverick was a common maker, Wrangler...here's a Levi variation on ebay...

15. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

The fabric is like what you most commonly see in purses of that era - and again now.

It's not actually embroidered - it's the weave of the fabric. I want to say it's from India, but I could be wrong.

I'll see if I can find an example & more info.

Oh & yep - they'd be considered bellbottoms. Not all bell bottoms were "elephant bells". They came in various leg widths.

16. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I found a few bags:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ebay item #260355929492 - made in Greece.

It was Greece all along - not India. I remember now... :duh2:

17. jared

jared Registered Guest

I never would of thought of Greece. India made since all along with the Hendrix/Beatles influence. Thanks everyone with your help!

18. I have some a bit like that (and I still consider bell bottoms to be bigger, so will call them flares).

My trousers are from the late '60s and have a woven design, not so ethnicky, more geometric and they're plum and cream - the waist is 28". If you'd like to know more, let me know.

Nicole

19. atticville

atticville Alumni

Jared, of couse they look different on the body, but this is a close call to your picture. They have the bell, the flare, the sailor mock-tie fly, the pattern and they are in stellar condition. Made by "Pandora Costume maker" ,union label, so on and so on. For Sale at the Attic-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

Landlubbers were THE brand for us! Low slung hip hugging bells in denim and wild prints. Very unisex and we girls were always borrowing the boys' Landlubbers.

Bell bottoms came in a variety of widths, from what we called "elephant bells" --- which were huge --- down to what are comparable to today's flared and boot cut styles.

And RIP Ron Asheton!