1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you call this dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Slimewarp, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Slimewarp

Slimewarp Registered Guest

I have had this 70s (i think?) Neiman Marcus dress for a while, but I don't really know what you would call it. Is it a dressing gown? A nightgown? An actual dress for wearing out? It is hairy and has a zipper (i think the photos have it on backwards) and it is not as heavy as it would seem, drapes nicely over curves, but of course still not flowy as it is mostly wool. Any help as to what it is and how to describe it would be appreciated!

neiman3.jpg neiman1.jpg neiman2.jpg

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Maybe a hostess dress? Which was a kind of dressy but comfortable dress for entertaining at home, as far as I understand.

Agree it's probably on backwards. The label placement suggests the zip should be at the back. Does have any bust darts? If so their placement will confirm which way round it should be.

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I see a hostess dress too - with a big statement necklace. I love it!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Is it on the mannequin backwards? The label is by the zip, so I would expect that to be at the back. With the zip in the back, it also makes the dress more formal looking, like a hostess dress, but with the zip in the front, it looks more like a housecoat to be worn to the breakfast table...

5. Slimewarp

Slimewarp Registered Guest

Thanks all! Yes it is on backwards in the photos. The zip should def be in the back. Thanks for the info and opinions!

6. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Hostess dress or hostess gown. Love the color!

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I would call it a lounger or lounging gown, something in between a bathrobe/housecoat and a hostess gown. Most hostess gowns I've worn, had, and/or sold were dressier and often made of "slinkier" fabric. This would have been, I'm pretty sure, more for daytime casual wear at home. One could entertain at lunch wearing it, but this isn't like the hostess gowns we wore in the 70s for entertaining at home in the evening.