1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What year was the black union label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by retro_threadz, Aug 16, 2013.

1. retro_threadz

retro_threadz Registered Guest

I searched the label resource here and did not see the era for the black union label, could someone give me some insight please. Ty

Attached Files:

2. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

I have seen black union labels such as yours and have always placed them in the 1963-1974 era. They are identical to the blue and white one shown in the label resource except for the color. Your label looks like it is from the 1970's to me because of the care instructions and fabric identification. Hopefully others with greater knowledge will chime in to help.

3. black labels were used in some clothing from 88-95, or so I'm told. Can't say I've seen it myself.

what is your item? if that the RN# peeking out on the side -- 26360, then the very oldest any garment with that brand label can be is 1964. But that doesn't tell you much here.

generally speaking, in loungewear/swimwear/lingeries items, the union label was often colored to match the garment or the company logo. I've seen all sorts of colors, and it's usually from stuff in the early 70s. I've personally never seen a "non-standard color" Union label on any other sort of clothing than lingerie/lounge and swimwear.

the labels used from 1963-74, and from 1974-95 were basically identical except for the color (they turned red/white/blue in 74). So when they make the label a different color -- green or pink or black, for example -- it's hard to tell which label it is (63-74, or 74-95).

jauntyrooster likes this.
  4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

If I read THIS blog correctly, An 'R' symbol noting the trademark for the logo was added in 1964. "If this style of union label has no R, then the garment was made between June 28, 1963 and April 21, 1964." I probably misread it?

5. retro_threadz

It is a dress, I am thinking 60s. Here is a photo of the dress. Thank you everyone

Attached Files:

6. You didn't misread it, A, but I would take what you read there with caution and visit the ILGWU site (or call them) to confirm.

jauntyrooster likes this.
  7. retro_threadz

Hi guys :hiya: I did email them and here is what their response was.

Dear Mary-
    Thank you for contacting the Kheel Center regarding the ILGWU archives. We have recently undertaken a project to locate examples of union labels in the archive and create a timeline, and we are hoping to get the information online in the near future. The label example that you provided seems to include the words "union made" above the ILGWU which would probably put it between the years 1963-1974.

I hope the information helps, but please let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

Thank you,

Katie Dowgiewicz
    ILGWU Project Archivist
    Kheel Center, Martin P. Catherwood Library

8. Kathleen Lipe

Kathleen Lipe Registered Guest

431DAF75-0593-4103-9C6C-FB6B60D4A1CC.jpeg I just received some clothes from my aunt and believe that I might have a black label as well. This forum was all I could find, so thank you! CC808089-6D5A-47FA-AF1F-370B0BDAD47B.jpeg

9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Glad you found us Kathleen! Thanks for showing us your label.

Do you have any questions about your dress? If so it is best to start a new thread.

Kathleen Lipe likes this.