1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did Canda (C&A) start?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Moonchild, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

I often receive quite a few pieces with the collection Canda from the brand C&A. I was wondering when Canda started? I'm still learning to research labels etc. so I'm sorry if this has an obvious answer! I haven't been able to find it myself.

I hope you can let me know.

I would include a picture of the label, but they have such different labels that I'm not sure it's helpful. But let me know if you need it!

2. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Founded in (believe it or not) 1841 by two brothers, Clemens and August - hence 'C&A'. Very sad day the day they closed all the UK stores, but I still see them in Germany when I go over there.

3. Moonchild

Yes, C&A was founded waaay back! Pretty cool. But they have a few different lines that are still active today (like Canda) and I can't figure out when it began, to put a ca. age to my items when selling

Distantdetails likes this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

We still have C&A here in Switzerland too - there's one just a couple of blocks from where I live. I've never shopped there much though, so I can't advise on the label styles per se. Back when I did shop cheap and new starting in the 90s, H&M was cool but C&A to me was untrendy, "mom style" :hysterical:(and then Zara and Mango came... :rolleyes:). I do think though the Canda "brand" was already around then.
    Anyway, if you post photos of the clothes and the labels, we can help with dating, based on styles and whatever info the labels have. Going by where the clothes were made according to the label can also help. Made in China for example is something that really only came up in the last 20 years or so.

Distantdetails likes this.
  5. Moonchild

"Made in China" is a really good indication of age. Thank you!
    I have at LEAST 3 Canda pieces in my shop atm, but a few more that has not been put in the shop yet. I'm working atm, so I can't really go hunting for the others right now, but here's one at least; the one that made me ask in the first place haha! And they all have different labels. I'll show them close up later when I can :) Although who knows when that will be, I have a sharp deadline and I can't take a break!
    [​IMG]

6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

That top looks 90s-00's to me. I have known Canada vintage items from at least the 1980s, I'm not sure if it began before that.

Moonchild likes this.
  7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. Oliver68

Oliver68 Registered Guest

I joined the board having seen this thread.

Mostly because I miss the old clothing I had in my twenties , in particular the C&A briefs, I believe the label was "canda".

So for years I have checked eBay regularly to see if anyone might post up anything like all the wonderful prints that were available back then.

So many lovely designs as opposed to nowadays where briefs are plain and dull.

We are talking thirty years ago and so there aren't even any images available online; like so much retro clothing that we chose not to keep, all we have are the memories.

Moonchild likes this.
  9. phoebe77

phoebe77 Registered Guest

I saw it is an old thread, but i found this after a bit of google research:
    "Canda International Trade Corp. is established in 1998, as a subsidiary of C&A"

Oliver68 likes this.
  10. Dannais dde Daneann

Dannais dde Daneann Registered Guest

Actually, you are talking about a company that manufactures automotive parts and is located in China:
    China CANDA Motor Parts ,Other Automobiles
    https://www.company-list.org/china_canda_motor_parts.html
    This company was founded in 1998.
    But the clothing company
    Canda International GmbH & Co OHG/Germany
    "Canda International OHG was founded in 1970. The Company's line of business includes the manufacturing of apparel and accessories."
    https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/6392683Z:GR?leadSource=uverify wall

Andrii likes this.