1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

While researching the Arnold Constable store...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Nov 24, 2008.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

...which is the oldest department store in the US (closed 1975) I came across this interesting tid bit -

In 1860 in an Atlanta newspaper, “The Daily Southern Confederacy”, shoppers were urged to patronize businesses favorable to the Southern position and to boycott the 22 “Abolition Houses,” one of which was Arnold Constable.

2. borntoolatevintage

borntoolatevintage Registered Guest

Really interesting Amanda. One of the prettiest coats I ever came across was from Arnold Constable. :)

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Yes, I came across that while prepping the 50s Arnold constable coat I've got in my store now, and actually included it in the listing!

Politically-based boycotts are a lot older than I realized...

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Abolitionists in the late18th century in ENgland boycotted sugar because it was made with slave labour in the Caribbean. (not clothing related, but an example of politically based boycotts from history)