1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Lace Suit- Wedding Atire?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by mingus107, May 17, 2011.

1. mingus107

mingus107 Registered Guest

I don't post very much, but I read everyday! Thanks for all the knowledge! Here's my question- I've got this white, lace suit and I can't figure out what it's occasion would have been. The only thing I think of is that it was wedding attire. Maybe something a lady would wear after the ceremony for travel, perhaps? It consists of a pencil skirt with a side metal zipper and a short jacket with sheer sleeves. Any ideas? I have a hard time posting pictures, so I hope this works. Thanks in advance!

2. Bird

Bird Registered Guest

HI mingus107,
    could this just have been an actual wedding outfit? it is rather gorgeous. with a little pair of kitten heels and a small posy lol!
    sharon xx

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree with Sharon. It could well have been a wedding ensemble for a less formal wedding, or for a slightly older bride who wanted white, but not a bouffant,trained gown. I doubt it was for travel as lace is a little fragile and a tad dressy for car and train riding.

Hollis

4. mingus107

Hi Sharon! Ya know, I'm not sure what this is, really. It very well could be a wedding suit. It's too bad it's so small or I would definately keep it for myself!

5. mingus107

Thanks, Hollis! That makes sense. I actually found 2 of these suits (if you can believe that) and have no idea how to market them. Any suggestions?

6. Bird

Bird Registered Guest

If it were mine and I was selling it I think I would say wedding outfit......

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it was worn for a wedding. I am wondering if the buttons go in the back?

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Linn, I thought the same thing, buttons may go in the back.

9. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree with all that this is likely a two-piece wedding dress/suit for an informal wedding, older bride, or second-time-around bride. And the buttons of the top would go in back.

Suits used to be popular for weddings--my mom was married in one, and I've seen a lot of wartime and post-war photos of ladies in wedding suits. And also in the 60s when things started being less formal.

10. bycin

bycin Guest

City Hall wedding!

11. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I just looked back at my parents wedding photos and was reminded of this thread. This looks nearly identical the suit my mother is wearing as they are getting ready to leave for their honeymoon. Hers has buttons down back and she has on a little hat and gloves.

My mother may be the only person in the world who has the ability to deflect dust and dirt. Somehow, to this day, she is always immaculate. I do not have same gift - possibly complete opposite! :)

12. mingus107

Of course, you guys were right! I finally had a moment to check and the buttons indeed go down the back! This suit is so lovely in person- it has a sweet scalloped edge at the bottom of the jacket. Too bad I am horrible at taking pictures! The estate that I purchased this suit from had 2 of these suits. Not exactly the same, but very similar. One was super small (24" waist) and the other on the larger side (32 " waist). Maybe her first wedding and then a renewal 30 years and 3 kids later?:) Thanks to everyone for their input! I truly value all of the info on these boards.

13. If there were two matching suits, of different sizes, they may be bridesmaids outfits? I doubt someone would get the same outfit made up years later, and if they did there would be different fabric and construction probably.

Nicole

14. Laura

Laura Alumni

In the US it would be very unusual for bridesmaids to wear white. It is generally considered taboo for anyone besides the bride to wear white to a wedding.

I wonder if it might have been a double wedding?

15. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Yes, I agree that it would be extremely rare, for those days, to have the bridesmaids in white. In more recent times, it's been done, but not back then. A double wedding's a possibility, but based on the tiny size of the one, I'd guess the smaller one was a flower girl/"miniature bride" outfit. When my brother (who's much older than me) was married in the early 60s, I was the miniature bride, at least that's what I think it was called. Like a flower girl, but instead of being dressed as the bridesmaids were, I wore an all-white little bride's dress. It was beautiful, and although I was a tomboy, I'll never forget feeling like a princess in that gown!

So, I opt for that guess! And, given the less-formal styling, I'm wondering if this may have been for a second-time bride, and the miniature bride was her daughter....

16. Laura

Laura Alumni

Interesting! I've never heard of the miniature bride before. I like that idea as a possibility.

17. Linn

I don't think the miniature bride theory works with this dress. A child wouldn't be able to wear this style and wouldn't have a 24" waist. The style is very typical early - mid-'60's (Jackie influenced) and at that time only the bride would have worn white. The renewal theory is interesting - but it's not likely if both suits have side metal zippers. If the second suit was made 30 years later in a large size, it's probable the zipper would be nylon! It may remain a mystery!

I'd love to see a photo of the dress with the jacket on the correct way - if you can take one!

18. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

You mention the two suits are similar but not same...could you share, in more detail, some of the differences? Wondering if we might decide they aren't related at all.

19. Linn

I missed very similar first time - thanks for catching that Maureen. Mingus - (sorry don't know your name) will you please post photos of the other suit - and the original with the buttons in the back!

Thanks.

20. mingus107

This is so interesting to hear the theories on these suits! I'm more of a vintage clothes wearer than expert, so this is very interesting to me. I am almost certain both suits belonged to the same owner. I purchased a box of clothing from a house auction, where the owner was going into an elder care facility. Her daughter said she would be thrilled that someone would want her old clothes.

I will update tomorrow with pictures of the both suits (on correctly, this time, I promise!) And, Linn- I never even checked the zipper on larger suit! If my daughter wasn't already asleep, I'd be in her closet right now, looking for that zipper! I can't wait to hear what you guys think when you see the other suit.