1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Several years ago Museum of the City of NY did an exhibition that focused on Burrows. My contribution to this thread is one of my favorite designs from it and an inside detail.
    I have hopes that you will contribute at least one fact about this innovative designer.
    upload_2020-2-23_8-53-38.png upload_2020-2-23_8-54-24.png
    The manniquin image is MCNY's; the detail is mine.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

from Wikipedia: Stephen Burrows is an American fashion designer based in New York City. Burrows studied at Fashion Institute of Technology, then began work in the New York City's garment center, alternately managing his own businesses and working closely with luxury department store Henri Bendel.

He also participated as one of the 5 Americans in the Battle of Versailles in 1973. A France America Gala that changed the fashion history.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  3. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

He is an African American designer who was one of the first designers - along with Oscar de la Renta, Givenchy, and Halston - to get African American models on the catwalks.

Photo from Versailles 1973

Screenshot_2020-02-23-12-03-28(1).png

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

He was one of my favorite illustrators in the 1970s (along with Kenneth Paul Block):

StephenBurrows.jpg

5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Here are some images from the exhibition at MCNY.

upload_2020-2-24_7-17-16.png upload_2020-2-24_7-35-58.png

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I got nothin' except this is one of my favorite looks by anyone, any time, and I think it feels so right in our modern maximalist-style era.

Pat Cleveland in Stephen Burrows
    tumblr_mwfqsz6lHx1qzdza2o1_500.jpg

7. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

I have a really cool Stephen Burrows dress, unfortunately it's hard to photograph. It's one-shouldered with a huge batwing sleeve and the typical red edging and "lettuce" hem:

IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0706.JPG

8. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

I LOVE the colours, so cheerful!