1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who knows about vintage souvenir scarves??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Beehive Vintage Goods, Jul 13, 2004.

1. I am on a roll of clearing out things I have had forever!! This weeks project is scarves.

I have a bunch of tourist souvenir scarves...Paris, London, Florida, Las Vegas, Canadian, etc.

Questions:

1. Most are inexpensive silk, some of which have shattered a bit over the years. Will people still buy those with silk damage??

2. Should I group the like scarves together: ie: 3 different London, 2 different Alaska...or put them all separately and reference the other auctions?

Most have really terrific images, I enjoy looking at these, but they must leave my home! Will post pics of some of the best ones later.

Thanks for your help!
    Bonnie

2. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

I'd do the London lot , Alaska lot, etc...
    Sounds like a fun group.
    We wanna see pics:)
    Karen

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Bonnie, I was just thinking today that I have to start going through my scarves and listing some - I would do like
    Karen suggested, 'lot' them.

You could maybe throw all the ones with shattering or
    other boo-boos together as a cutter/craft lot.

Sue

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these have never done well for me. I don't get scarves because other than predictable winners, like Hermes, my tastes never seem to match with what is hot. I think some of those tourist silk scarves, and the royal memorabilia scarves are great! , but apparently I stand alone...

5. Yeah...I know what you mean Jonathan...I'm not going to break the bank with scarf sales. These are one of those things that mysteriously end up in my shopping cart 'cause I love the graphics. They have mated and multiplied...thus the summer sweep out sale!!

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Sometimes scarves that are Florida Kitschy do well..not a million dollars but people collect that as a whole other category. Hawaii does ok, esp
    40s/50s, and there are people who collect national parks/yosemite/grand canyon stuff. for other states, i would lot by state..or do a lot by region ...

The scarves aside from names i am able to sell solo pretty well have been rainbow stripes, and if the design is extremely mod or op arty...and extremely 80s went too.

If scarves were really "in" right now and a lot of people were seeking to buy for wear....i think it might be a slightly different story. I remember the early mid 90s in the corporate world no one didn't wear one and remember everyone making a big deal over what taste or lack thereof people had. I know there are people who always like scarves and always wear them, but all the other people who were wearing them out of fashion are just not there. Part of it also has to do with the casualing of the average business environment. So the best examples might be going, but we are missing the regular wearers to really fuel the market for them.

I have a scarf book my husband found at a library sale for me from the late 80s with 100 ways to wear a scarf, or maybe it seems like there are 100 ways. maybe sometime i should post some examples for ideas on how to crossmarket them with clothing. We have mannis carrying purses that are not for sale in the auction, and wearing shoes, so why not wearing a scarf that is available in another auction or in the store....turban style for a gloria swanson looking ensemble, as a bow style for an 80s 9 to 5 look suit, or as a tube top when you are selling summer or evening pants but don't want the manni to be arrested for indecency : )

People are encouraged to use scarves in their decor by a lot of design shows...framing as wall out, using a long oblong on a piano or a sofa table...good ideas!!!......but of course decoupaging puccis on a lamp shade that have no condition issues....not my cup of tea. I did see once some ployester scarves used to cover seats in a dining room in some magazine...

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Some great ideas in there... sounds to me like the part of a good feature for the VFG on scarves, their history and use...

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Fantastic idea, Jonathan. I'd love a feature on scarves.

Lizzie

9. YES!!! I also love the merchandising with scarves idea!!

Well I have just finished listing 15 auctions of souvenir scarves with more to come when I get motivated once again.

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

well...i found that book finally in the process of cleaning my office. looked like a small publisher in ontario....i will have to post some pics sometime..

11. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

Bonnie

I just had a lot up for a vinty souvenir Florida tablecloth. Now I just happened to have a Florida nylon souvenir scarf which I threw in to make the auction more enticing..... I don't think I would have listed the Florida scarf on its own unless I had it in a lot with some others....

In my auction with the tablecloth, I suggested it be used as a table topper rather than a head scarf. Since it was nylon, it did have some detriments so it was more or less an advertised "gift" which worked to my benefit....

Nanc

12. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

I always tend to have a fight on my hands when I'm looking for Jacquard scarves, and the plainest ones always tend to be the most expensive, it's very strange. But other than that, scarves really don't tend to sell to well do they.

Maybe we should encourage the fashion magazines to find more uses for scarves and bring them back in fashion... I for one would love it if they were back in as I hate that I spend ages doing my hair in a morning and then get it tangled to hell after two minutes outside in the wind.. a headscarf is the only good solution for backcombed curls in windy weather. I know they borught those mini headscarves back a couple of years back, but they were rubbish, they didn't fit over backcombing at all. :-(

And I'd like big hats to get back in fashion too because I can roller the top of my hair, stick a hat on to do the shopping, and then go home and backcomb my hair and look fantastic when I go out. LOL! ...I've only tried that a few times, you can get away with quite a lot when people find you eccentric, they never dream you have rollers on, they just think you're having a weird hat day. :)

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

13. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

I notice ALOT of women in the City rocking scarves as belts. Fun, colorful scarves rolled up and put through the loops on dressy black pants for work and jeans for casual. My sister rocks the looks and I gotta say, it looks pretty cute.