1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was Angela?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I’ve had the good fortune to come across a beautiful ‘Angela at London Town dress. I wondered whether anyone was able to tell me who ‘Angela’ actually was? It’s great to know the story of a piece, but I haven’t been able to find any information about her from various web searches?

With thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Impey

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Please post a photo of the label and the dress and we may be able to help.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I had a few minutes and did a quick search for Angela at London Town. I found a little information for you; here are some highlights:

-- "Angela" was Angela Cash
    -- Thus far the earliest reference I found to Angela was in 1963, at which time the reference noted "19 years old Angela Cash working for her mother's firm, London Town."
    -- From a 1965 article: "Angela...designs for her parents' fashion house, London Town Dresses. At their Mayfair headquarters on Conduit Street, she has her own showroom known as Angela at London Town...Her success story began in 1964 when three buyers from American stores visited her showroom and were so impressed by Angela and her collection that they placed immediate orders."
    -- A short time later Angela made arrangements to open a showroom on Broadway in NYC.
    -- It was noted that Angela's designs were primarily for young people and featured "free swinging clothes for dancing in discotheques, with floppy hats to match."
    -- I have attached below a picture of her from 1966
    -- In 1967 Browns of Chester opened the "first ever provincial ‘Angela’ boutique”, which featured Angela Cash's "minier than the miniest" dresses.
    -- In 1972 an article announced a meeting of the creditors of Angela at London Town Ltd., "by order of the Board." This seems to had indicated the imminent demise of the company.
    -- A 1978 article mentioned "Angela Cash, who runs The Rose Workshop (N.B.: A company that produced exclusive and expensive hand-knitted garments) used to be Angela at London Town before she cashed in on the handknitting craze."

upload_2020-9-28_21-59-51.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  4. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Lynne - thanks so much for this, it’s super helpful and lovely to know A bit more about the dress. I’ve included a picture below - as you see it absolutely fits with the ‘young people’ and ‘free swinging clothes’ - although I’m not convinced that a floppy hat would work.

I’ve clearly been looking in all the wrong places for information - can I ask what resources you used, or did you just google (in which case I’m super embarrassed!)?

Huge thanks again, Jane

Attached Files:

lkranieri likes this.
  5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Lynne you are a marvel!

Jane, Lynne is a researcher extraordinaire, and also has subscriptions to various newspaper databases, I believe. She's a wizard at finding stuff out when no-one else can, so no need to feel embarrassed.

Perhaps some of this information could be added to the London Town label resource entry. Plus the label too, if @Impey is willing to submit it. Tagging @Ranch Queen Vintage

kainda and lkranieri like this.
  6. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I’d certainly be very happy to submit it. Thanks again for all your help - this really is a great resource.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Jane, I am delighted to have been able to help with your lovely, fun dress. The information came from my subscription to The British Newspaper Archive.