1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will steinman sarong dress - fabric query!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattysattic, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

hello everyone!

am just getting ready to list this

[​IMG]

in my pre christmas last minute frenzy! i'm just unsure of what to call the fabric. is it a silk damask? feels very soft - here's a close up.

[​IMG]

i get quite confused with damask, jacquard etc. so any help much appreciated!

harriet:) (who is feeling festive!!)

2. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I think it may be a silk brocade! Gorgeous Gown like liquid gold flowing down over the body.

damask is more a design into the weave ( at least thats the only way I can explain it ) and brocade is like its embroidered, jacquard is woven too but I can't explain the difference between damask and brocade I just know it when I see it.

3. Hattysattic

thanks pauline - it's really lovely and i would keep it if i could get my hips in it:(

i like the liquid gold idea too... off to type decription!

harriet

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

"jacquard" can be used as a term to describe any highly decorative fabric that was made on a jaquard loom or a weaving card. Damasks, tapestries, and brocades are all jacquards. Any other simialr type of fabric with elaborate figures and designs that is not printed but woven is also a jaquard.

Now more specifically a damask....the way to tell damask is if you see the front and back of the fabric, and it is the same design on both sides but the other side is usually a reversed colorway. (and it can be used reversable). If it has any threads on the other side, or in any otherway the crisp design doesn't come through, then it is not damask. It is flatter than brocade, and originated in Damascus, hence the name!

Brocade has a more embossed, raised appearance often with gold or silver thread woven design.

5. Patentleathershoes

BTW, Yup, I would say brocade. you would have been correct by saying jacquard, but brocade is more specific :)

6. Hattysattic

you are all so clever!

thanks chris - that's one reply i am trying to get lodged in my memory. very useful!!

harriet

7. Patentleathershoes

You are most welcome. Feel free to print/copy it down if you need it!