1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Wilshire - all about Suits"label trouble

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sweetmore, Jul 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sweetmore

Sweetmore Registered Guest

I found this unique vintage blazer that I can not find or place the only label found in the coat. It is the strangest material and construction as it is super lightweight (guessing rayon or silk blend) The back of the coat has no lining to it, but just the sheer material the coat is made of. Is this intentional? I have not run across a blazer/jacket for men like this one and would appreciate any info on maker and age/era. It seems 80s retro to me or 90s? Since the label "Wilshire" has the (TM) I have to assume it is not old vintage. Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sweetmore

Just following up if anyone might have any ideas or clues? It's my first post and so glad I found this resource. Hope someone can help. Thanks

3. I am no expert on menswear but i get a sense by the label and fabric the jacket is more recent. Are there any labels in the interior pockets? If so, this may help to narrow down a date.

4. Sweetmore

Thanks for the reply Deb, but I search all pockets, in and out on this jacket/blazer, and the only label still present is the one I pictured. The weird thing is I can not find any images or info on the web to this particular label. Even if it is the stores label that sold it, I can't find anything on that. Is this "Wilshire" label referring to the California Wilshire? in the UK? I am stumped.

5. You're very welcome. Perhaps someone else will come along with more info.. I really do think it is more recent though.

PS - my name is Deborah ;-)

6. Sweetmore

Thank you Deborah. Hopefully someone will post. NO offense meant on the hyphened name, so please excuse :)

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  7. When you say, no lining do you none at all or a half lining only at the top of jacket?

8. Sweetmore

View attachment 92092 View attachment 92093
    This is a great question and so I took a picture of the jacket turned inside out to show you the lining and hoping to get an education on this. I guess this is how it is suppose to be, lining at the top ?? I have never seen or had a blazer/jacket with "half lining" and unfamiliar with this construction. Being in the northern area all my blazers/jackets are fully lined.

In terms of the label the plot thickens and I am an idiot. All it took was my wife to look inside one of the interior pockets and under a flap in it to discover a label. The weird thing is that it states it was made in "D.P.R Korea" North Korea.. say wha??
    Any help is appreciated and I hope I have provided better info to try and solve this mystery. I am very curious now to find out what this jacket is and how it came to be in a Goodwill store where I found it for $4.

Attached Files:

9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

That type of lining is also called a petal lining. It allowed for more shoulder ease.
    Marian

10. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

D.P.R. Korea? Sounds like a novel in the making! From my limited understanding, there is not much ready-to-wear in North Korea.

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that is definitely Korean writing. I think "Wilshire" is a Korean (as in South Korean) clothing label, made for sale in that country and that may be the reason why you could not find anything about it online when searching in English. I've been to South Korea last year, and they seem to love anything with an English name, and t-shirts with weird English quotes on them - some of them totally nonsensical, and since a lot of Koreans still don't speak English, it doesn't matter - it only seems to matter that it looks like English :).
    When relations between North and South Korea had thawed somewhat the last time, a joint special industrial zone was created in Kaesong, North Korea - this is a city near the DMZ. It meant that South Korean companies produced in North Korea. The industrial park was financed by South Korea, 123 companies moved in there and North and South Koreans actually worked together. This ran from 2002 until 2016, when relations between the two countries broke down again after a weapons test by the North. I think you jacket was made there.

12. @Midge Great information Karin! Thanks for sharing.

@Sweetmore Good that the labels were found and, thanks to Karin, we now know the jacket cannot be any earlier than 2002.