1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women’s gold tuxedo 50s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by iheartdangervintage, Feb 14, 2021.

1. iheartdangervintage

iheartdangervintage VFG Member

I just acquired this 1950s women’s gold tuxedo. I need opinions / suggestions on how to describe it for a search and also for helping research its value - maybe there is a term for this garment that would help in my research. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

welcome, JaneV! cute suit!

but, are you sure it's 1950s vintage? first impression for me is that it looks very 1980s. ( I see it has a metal zipper, but that doesn't necessarily date it to the 50s) any labels or tags? how are the seams finished? is it a retail garment, or home-sewn?

3. iheartdangervintage

It has no labels, but is very finely done - probably tailor made for someone. I can see that how it looks laying flat gives of an 80s vibe but the fabrics and construction are definitely from the 50s or early 60s.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It makes me think of those 1980s mens tuxedos...new wave styling.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Is it possible to do some photos on a person, mannequin, or half form?

Edited to add: What I can see of the lines of the pants are not typical for womenswear in the 1950s or 60s.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It *could* be early 60s... but I can't see its shape so well with it not being on a body or mannequin. I'm sorry!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

My initial impression was 80s as well. However, the fabric almost has a 60s look to it. Maybe it was a costume?

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

or maybe it was made from vintage fabrics. i did a lot of that in the 80s.

MagsRags and thevintagebungalow like this.
  9. iheartdangervintage

Here she is on a dress form. The fabrics and zipper are definitely from the 50s or 60s and it is too well made to be a costume, or at least not what you would call costume quality (jacket is completely has multiple lined pockets inside)

Attached Files:

10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Does the jacket have shoulder pads?

11. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Are the pants pleated? And are they side, center font or center back zipper? If there are shoulder pads, what are they made of - foam or batting? and how thick are they? Early 50s pads are soft and rounded and not very high or broad in effect, and the 60s were natural shoulder.

MagsRags likes this.