1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wooden Dove tail box

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by CharismaVintage, May 20, 2009.

1. CharismaVintage

CharismaVintage Registered Guest

Good evening everyone :hiya:
    I have a wooden box and it appears to be handmade. It is lined with an apricot colored satin. It was dull and dingy when I got it. I wiped it with a couple of baby wipes and I think I was cleaning off black soot...maybe this guy was on a fireplace mantel. I noticed as I wiped the hard ware some copper color started shining through. I didnt over do the cleaning..it could use more.
    Can anyone provide me with info? age, pricing?
    I love this site and you guys are the best!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

This isn't vintage clothing so its normally not anything I would know about, however, I happened to inherit my grandfather's cigar boxes from the 1920s and 1930s and this is what this is. These were disposable containers that were filled with cigars and often saved, sometimes lined with wallpaper or fabric and used as doll clothing trunks, jewellery cases, etc. My mother had lined one with fabric as a child and used it for doll clothes.

3. CharismaVintage

any other suggestions, guys?
    The inside satin material was made into the box..not laid in there. The inside is pristine as if used for valuables..maybe jewelry
    The box is heavy for its size and it is quite sturdy.

4. Thanks for the info, Jonathan. I didn't realize cigar boxes were once so ornate.

CharismaVintage - did you try searching vintage/antique jewelry boxes? A search for anitque/vintage cigar boxes brought up a few that look similar to yours. ;)

5. CharismaVintage

Thank you Jonathan and Chezmov. I am searching from your info.
    I appreciate the info..have a great weekend :sunshine: