1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wool drawstring purse - please help ID/date

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by aliinnc, Mar 8, 2011.

1. aliinnc

aliinnc Guest

Hi,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I bought this bag at an estate sale. It has no maker or fabric content labels. The outside fabric feels like wool to me.

I can't upload a photo so here's a description. The back is woven like a rug, wool on cotton. But this is NOT one of the drawstring bags made from a kilim. The colors are black and white: stripes on top, followed by a ziggurat or pyramid-like pattern with texture to the ziggurats. Very unusual - I can't find anything at all like it on eBay or etsy.

The rings the drawstring feeds through look like bone or some other natural material. Upon close examination, they show irregularities and appears to have grain in some areas. They feel cool when they touch my face, but do not clink like glass would.

The wool and bone combination are making me wonder whether this is older than I originally thought. It is fairly small, only about 10 inches tall. Has a rectangular base and black cotton lining.

Thanks!

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Do you have a photo you could post?

3. aliinnc

aliinnc Guest

4. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

No help with dating, but here's your photos. I left out one because it was wide and stretching the forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. aliinnc

aliinnc Guest

Thanks so much! For some reason, it said the files were too big when I tried. I really appreciate the help!

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There was a fashion for drawstring bags during the 1940s...

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

What is the lining fabric, and can you show a peek of it?

8. aliinnc

aliinnc Guest

The lining is plain black - looks like cotton or linen. There are slight variations in the thickness of the threads (when you look very closely).

Thanks for the input so far!