1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wool Dress and matching top

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ReilVintage, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ReilVintage

ReilVintage Registered Guest

Hi all!
    I found this really cool skirt set. My question is how do I even begin to launder it!? Do you all feel the tub is best? It is a "honey of a knit" by Toby Berman 100% virgin wool!

Attached Files:

• skirt.png
      skirt.png
      File size:
      815.9 KB
      Views:
    • tag.jpg
      tag.jpg
      File size:
      111.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Launder it like a sweater - cold water soak in the bathtub is great, don't agitate it (that causes pilling), let it soak a half hour with a cold-water soap like Zero or Woolite. Rinse well, roll up in a towel to pat to remove as much moisture as possible, lay flat to dry, iron with a cool iron on the reverse.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. ReilVintage

Thank you so much Jonathan. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

4. ReilVintage

Laundering went well. There are three holes on the top of this set. I have sent it out for a reweaving quote. Has anyone done this before and do you feel it is worth it?

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I know that weaving wool around here is super expensive but this is a knit so I don't know if that's referred to as actual "weaving". I would think a good knitter would be able to work with this at a reasonable price.

Curious to see what others have to say about this.

I have had sets like this before...just love them!

6. I would do the repair myself: reweavers and invisible menders are very expensive. I like Jonathan's cleaning advice and am glad to hear that it came out well.

7. ReilVintage

I'm a knitter but I am not the best seamstress. One of the holes was dead center in the front so my poor skills would have made it look worse :) if the quote is too high perhaps I'll sell as is and let someone more skilled take a stab at it.

8. ReilVintage

The quote for all three holes one of which is is actually two holes through the sleeve came to $82.

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President