1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wool mens jacket size tag and date question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by iotaandromedae, Aug 15, 2015.

1. iotaandromedae

iotaandromedae Registered Guest

Hello, I just bought a heavy wool coat (mens coat). It doesn't have a label, but it does have a size. The size says 38 L. I was curious if this was European sizing? Also, the seller said the coat was from the 1960s. Military jacket?

I've supplied a picture of the coat and the size tag. One picture is straight from the seller, so courtesy to them. Colour of coat is closer to my photo, not seller's (if that makes any difference).

Thanks for the help and knowledge. Greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Well, I found it is is indeed a military jacket. The Ike Jacket design. But I'm still not sure it is from 1960s.

edit 2: yep it's an Ike Jacket from the 1940s-50s. Pretty cool.

12.png size.png 111.png

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Nice jacket - 38 is likely a men's chest measurement, ie, 38 inches.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

L may stand for long, though I don't know when manufacturers began using this definition, it seems a bit early for it if the jacket is 40s/50s.

4. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Does your jacket have button cuffs? If not then it would more likely be 50s (model M-50). Prior to that they had cuff buttons which made the jacket a bit more versatile (model M-44). Post 1950, I believe they were just parade dress and the cuff buttons were removed from the design. These were pretty much phased out by 1960.

If it is tagged as a 38, it should have a chest measurement anywhere from 2 to 4 inches larger than that number (for example, something tagged as a size 42 would likely have a chest measurement anywhere from 44-46"). The measurements should also bear out whether it is a long or not but keep in mind this was likely tailored for its original owner, especially if it was for parade dress,.

It is a nice find. Congrats!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015