1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wool...nubby...boucle...help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by inkedpalm, Aug 23, 2009.

1. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

What would the accurate description of these Wool garments be? I'm dumbstruck...even with researching. I don't want to just put "Wool Dress" "Wool Suit" if you know what I mean. Any help is appreciated. I love wool, but I have so many different garments in so many textures of wool. :help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Oh that last dress is fabulous!!The first suit is pretty awesome too - what size are they? Message me with when and where you're listing it please (just in case they aren't super tiny - if they are, never mind lol)! Wool stumps me too, there's so many textures as you said...watching...:)

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Great pieces and fortunately they are all way too warm looking for me - even if they fit - LOL. I would refer to the suit as a plaid bouclé, the jacket as a nubby woven tweed, and the dress looks like a woven plaid bouclé with a bit of mohair yarn in the weave - giving it the "fuzzy" appearance.

Linn

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I have been referring back to a great book for wool basics: All About Wool, A Fabric Dictionary and Swatchbook, Written and Illustrated by Julie Parker. The book has swatches, which is a great bonus.

I agree with Linn and her descriptions. All looped surface wool isn't bouclé, but it often is. Bouclé is a French term for buckled, curled or ringed. Bouclé can be woven or knit, and it need not be loopy all over; it can be a combination of plain and loopy.

Some loopy-surface wools are made by combining shrinking fibers with those that don't, causing the non-shrinking yarns to loop out.

The Jackie Morgan jacket's fabric is not one I know by name. I think I would call it a novelty weave in heathery browns.

Good to see you!

5. Great info Maggie - love that bit about the different wools that shrink or don't shrink. Who knew? I think every fabric book should come with swatches too.

Nicole

6. inkedpalm

Ms Maggie!

Hi Maggie! :hiya: Good to see you too! I ended up having 4 surgeries. The cancer was in my chest wall. Anyhoo, I'm doing so much better! I've missed this place. I will definitely look up that book. I am fabric challenged as it is. Great info!!! ps. Nadine

7. inkedpalm

Thank you so much Linn! This will help because most of my Wool garments fall into one of these categories! Nadine

8. inkedpalm

Good morning, Coffeegrl, I could use a cuppa just about now. :icon_dante: lol

I love the dress, in researching I could not find one similar. Wishing it fit me but it is rather small. boo hoo! I have purchased quite a few books that others have posted on here and they are all dog-eared from reading them. Now I'll have to add a Wool book. Can't wait. :clapping: Nadine

9. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Hi Nadine - welcome back, sounds like you've been through alot! Glad to hear you're doing well now though - I need books, I rely on internet searches too much and they can only take you so far - I'm in Canada (I've already pulled out the winter wear lol) so I have a lot of wool - I think that'll be my first book :)

10. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Wow that book sounds brilliant,I'm definitely going to be buying that one, I so need help and what a good idea to include swatches!

Welcome back Nadine, you're a brave lady, I take my hat off to you!

Love that last suit, what gorgeous colours and so cute!

Sarah

11. inkedpalm

Thank you Sarah! I'm not so brave, believe me, but you do what you have to do. I am so grateful to be here doing what I love. :excited: No longer take a thing for granted. The colors are yummy on the last dress, and no buglet holes either. :singing:Nadine

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Nadine, I wish you all the best! Lovely pieces all three of them, though the suit is my fave. So beautiful! Just right for autumn...

Karin

13. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm just glad you were able to come through all that Nadine! Wow.

To all those who are tempted by All About Wool, you may has well add to your birthday or Christmas list: All About Cotton and All About Silk by the same author...all great basic books with swatches.