1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wool Ski Sweaters -- 40s or 50s, and how to tell if they're men's or women's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jen S, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Hi,
    I have two nice wool ski sweaters, and I'm not sure if they're 40s or 50s... One is Paul Mage, from a shop in Copenhagen, and the other is clearly hand-skit and has no labels. I also don't know how to tell if they're for men or women. Hoping Linda P. and any other sweateristas might come around and give me their opinions! Thanks!

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The first one looks like it has some built in shaping, as it's narrower at the waist so I would have said that was a woman's. But it can be an illusion just by placing it on the floor not fully spread out.

3. I find you can usually tell if a jumper/sweater is for a woman or a man by measuring the shoulder width and the sleeve length.

4. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Agree with Nicole...measurements will usually tell the story.

5. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thanks all, I will measure them and compare them to known ones. I think they're straight (no waist shaping), but the blue one has a sort of full yoke area, like the design is a bit gathered.

How about dating? Any opinions?