1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Someone mentioned Woolite recently. I don't remember the specifics but this is not a product for washing fine fabrics. Use Eucalon or Wooltone instead. Claire Shaeffer

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I'll second Eucalan -- my gosh that stuff is AWESOME! I buy the lavender version.
    It's fantastic for cashmere/wool/etc cardigans & sweaters. Fill the tub with enough lukewarm water to cover the sweater, add some Eucalan, drop in the sweater.. swish it around a bit and let it soak for 15 minutes or so.
    Then -- take it out and lay flat to dry. NO NEED TO RINSE!
    It makes the sweaters SO soft & sweet smelling -- AND it repels moths.
    You can find it on eBay ;)

3. Laura

Laura Alumni

Eucalan is also stocked by cloth diaper stores online. I agree, it IS wonderful stuff!

I've never heard of Wooltone - is that available in stores?

Laura

4. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't been happy with the way my cashmere sweaters smell after washing with Woolite - they seem to keep a "wet wool" odor even after they dry.

I just went to the eucalan.com website and I see that you can request a free sample - I can't wait to try it!

5. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

Hey thanks for mentioning the free sample. I'll check that out too. I agree on the woolite smell. I've been on an ammonia kick for months and have been washing everything in it! Yep it's fine for woolens just read the back of the bottle for instructions. I'm off to order my free sample though as I am always willing to try something new.

6. TrickVintage

TrickVintage Registered Guest

thanks for the tip !! I ordered a bottle !!

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Me too!