1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth gown dating info?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by fashionbackward, Sep 1, 2008.

1. fashionbackward

fashionbackward Registered Guest

Hey there, I was pointed over here by someone who read a post on the ebay VC&A board a couple of months ago. I've been busy with my other job, and also taking new photos of the gown. I'm hoping someone can give me some info on dating this thing, since I'm really out of my depth with it. I've got no provenance on this, just the beauty of the gown itself!

Thanks in advance...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe shape of the skirt looks early 1890s but the bodice looks more like c. 1900 to me. Its hard to be sure without handling it...

3. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

The dress looks to be original and I think it is early 1900's. Worth dresses go for serious money. Charles Worth died in 1895 and his sons took over the business so to have the dating narrowed down and to have the provenance, would be the ideal.

Not to put a damper on this point but these bodice tape labels are easy to copy. I would take it to a museum or good auction house for authentication.

4. fashionbackward

Thanks for this info, I wish I could narrow it down a bit for sure. I've had this gown for quite some time, and the person I bought it from definitely wasn't running a scam, I don't think she even realized what she had. I'll see if I can get a local museum to take a look at it...

5. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Nice dress but I think the bodice has been altered later on (like 50 years later). The front doesn't look right to me, almost like it was altered in the 1950's for a fancy dress costume (which they did do then, just like how we don't think anything of wearing 70's poly to fancy dress parties).
    The front of the bodice reminds me of this 1950's dress that I sold a while back:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lei

6. fashionbackward

Hmmm, well, it definitely looks like the armholes were unstitched, as though it might have had sleeves at one time. The basic structure of the top (it's two-piece) seems intact, none of the boning looks like it's been diddled, but what do i know? And the top might look a little funny because my manni is probably not even an A cup...

7. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

It is likely that some alterations have been carried out but the bodice construction looks right for the period although getting a good look at the inside is pretty much essential if you want confirmation. I don't think the dress had sleeves. It could be a reproduction but then you have a problem with the Worth label. Have a look at these bodices dated around this period and you'll see a similar construction and shape;

http://tinyurl.com/6y4y6c

This also may be interesting to note;

"In addition to his private customers, Worth's clientele included American seamstresses who purchased garments to copy for ladies longing for the Worth look but unable to travel to Paris. In this way, Worth pioneered the technique of designing dresses for the purpose of being copied in French workrooms and then distributed throughout the world."

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It might have has some wisps of netting, lace or chiffon at the shoulder cap rather than matching fabric sleeves, which would have likely disintegrated overtime and would have left the stitches.

Hollis