1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth the watch - Halston

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Jonathan, May 16, 2021.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am halfway through it, and will binge the rest of it tonight - it is EXCELLENT. The costuming and set decoration are flawless! Here is a link to the trailer:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up - my Netflix list keeps growing :hysterical:! Why did I think, oh, I'll keept it just til I have watched The Crown and switch it off again :BAGUSE:. Oh well, at least I've found a cheaper alternative now to my "normal" TV for those channels that I actually do watch.

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

We watched the first two episodes last night and really enjoyed it. So much eye candy!

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

agree. the fashion so far are incredible. loving it.

5. The Vintage Merchant

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Ian Drummond said pieces of his rental collection are sprinkled throughout—I'd love to know which items!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Ian told me that because Halston in real life was 6'3", but McGregor is 5"9", they were looking for smaller sizes to fit the smaller actors they had hired to make Halston look as tall as possible.

8. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

It's wonderful! And that Krysta Rodriguez! She just embodies Liza Minnelli. Her gestures, dance style, singing, nuanced expressions, a perfect re-creation. The whole show is a tantalizing mix of fashion, music, dance and stellar performances telling this compelling story. I don't want to blaze through it too quickly as I want it to last!

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I agree she is amazing and she doesn't cross the line of parody, like an SNL sketch. Ewan too is impressive at Halston - he doesn't look much like him, but his voice is bang on, and after a while you forget what Halston looked like!

11. Midge

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Apparently it was supposed to be an 8 part series, but they were in the midst of filming it when COVID hit. Starting back up kept getting delayed and by last fall actors and others contracted to the production needed to be released to go to other projects, so it was recut and rewritten to cram the story into 5 parts and film only what was necessary to make it flow.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  13. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

I really enjoyed it!

14. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

I watched it from beginning to end last night - it was absolutely wonderful.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  15. The Vintage Merchant

it's great to see you, Debbie!! i've missed seeing you since we don't work together any more! xo

catseyevintage likes this.
  16. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

17. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

18. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

denisebrain likes this.
  19. Midge

I stayed up late :BAGUSE: to watch it too - I also found her research process very interesting! I was amazed that she had so little time for all this!

denisebrain likes this.