1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would these 2 dresses be 70's? KW help?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MyVintageCocktail, Aug 28, 2006.

1. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Would these 2 dresses be 70\'s? KW help?

I'm pretty sure these are both from the early 70s, though they are much more sophisticated than what I was wearing back then! The first, a silk, looks hippie-inspired, I think, with its fringed sleeves and a hint of the psychedelic in the print. The 2nd one has a narrow dolman sleeve, and a bib-type style that I think was popular. But the bib effect is subtle, not the cutesy, blatantly mod look. This dress is of the most soft wool (it feels divine) I think I have ever felt, but how does one describe something like that?????

Any KWs--I'm brain dead lately from sorting all these things out... Many thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Anne,

I'm pretty sure the 1st on is mid 1960s...quite wild isn't it!

The 2nd one I'm less sure of...it looks 60s to me as well but I'm less positive...is there a label you could send the photo of.

3. I vote for 60s on the first one too! But the second really has somewhat of an 80s feel, doesn't it?

Great finds, Anne!

4. Joan Kiplinger

Joan Kiplinger Registered Guest

They are 1960s; the beige styling came out around 1967-68. I had several of this style. There was an earlier version worn by Jackie Kennedy around mid-1964 which might have prompted this fashion trend.

The print is latter 60s also but the style drifted into the 70s. It is one of many variations of the shift. Made many of those. Fabric looks to be triacetate or nylon like Quiana. Is there a tag??

Joan

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Thanks, all! I was a few years off there, but not too bad! The first one is a divine silk. Neither has labels--these are from a Hollywood designer's estate, and likely were either custom made for her from her own design, or were spec or sample pieces for her own label (Irene Saltern of California) or one of the houses she worked for (most probably Tabak of California).

6. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

They're great Anne!