1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you call this a sack dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by listitcafe, Jan 7, 2007.

1. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I think this is a version of a 50's sack dress. I think I read that it started with a fitted sheath dress with a overlay top. But not sure.

-Chris

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Its certainly of that genre and the period is right, c. 1957ish so I would call it a sheath cocktail dress with chiffon sack overblouse.

3. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

It's very nice! :wub:

Janine

4. listitcafe

Thanks I have a second floral one too.... They are cute.....

-Chris

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i'd say Jonathan has hit it on the nose...and yes, it looks yummy! oooo, i bet the floral is adorable, too!
    :clapping:

6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

This look was in vogue around 1957-58-59. it is a two piece dress set with blouson top. I have not heard a top referred to with the term sack only dresses but it is a good description. Blouson is the term I see most often in my vintage magazines and it is the term we used when I was at school for fashion design. It is the term I use but sack might work just as well.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Does anyone remember that great old I Love Lucy show where she was in Paris and saw a real high couture fashion show and somehow managed to wear a burlap sack as a a frock...it was hysterical!

8. listitcafe

Luv that one.... And the the ice buckets hats? or was Ethel where a horses feed sack on her head.....

-Chris

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I think that's the same one...the fashion show was by Marcel and Ricky and Fred had the great idea to get this stuff made up and sew the Marcel label in it...so the gals thought they were haute couture dresses and do the town in them....

I wish I could watch it now...should by the DVD I guess.

10. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

This very much reminds me of the dress Diane recently got married in....Hers had the same blouson effect and a matching batwing chiffon jacket. Of course, I doubt if hers was this vintage, probably a copycat....

Looked very nice on Diane I have to say, she is quite slim....

Nanc