1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you call this a sack-silhouette coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MyVintageCocktail, Dec 15, 2005.

1. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Wasn't going to list any more coats, but suddenly cashmere seems to be selling hotter than ever, and I found four black ones in my stock! This is one (has a pretty bow detail at back).... Is this a "sack silhouette," or "modifed" one? Not sure if you can tell from the shots, but this is very full & gathered on top, straight at the waist & hips, and slightly tapers to the hem at the knees. This shows better at the back. It seems to fit one definition of the sack shape I found, which called it an "almond with sleeves." Also, sort of OT, but which designer really "invented" the sack shape? I thought Dior was credited with first inventing the sack dress in the late 50's, but one resource states that Balenciaga and Givenchy introduced the sack silhouette around 1957--so did they invent the shape & Dior first turned in into a dress? I'm confused! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Nice back detail! I certainly think you can call that a sack back.

Hollis

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I agree, it looks right out of the sack backfashions of 1957-58

PS: I have always thought it was Balenciaga who did the sack back first, however, there are sack back dresses before then, but they don't extend down the entire figure but rather terminate at the waist. I believe Dior and Jacques Griffe both did this in about 1954. Balenciaga's sack back went from the shoulders to the knees so the waist was obscured -- not a flattering shape for most women, and it wasn't received well at the time -- sort of the Edsel of the fashion world.

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Thanks, that 's what I thought, too, but wanted to get better opinions than mine! I like that "sack back" terminology you both used!