1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would you have this altered?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hi - Look at this fabulous Sears Hawaiian Fashions dress. They're not making stuff like this at Sears anymore, that's for sure. It is so well-constructed! It even has a wonderful waist stay. But... there is serious staining on the lower part of the skirt. Can't get it out with regular washing and label actually says "do not soak." What to do?

Try more aggressive cleaning (it looks hopeless, really), try to sell it as is, or have it professionally shortened to eliminate nearly all the stains (about knee length, which would affect the line of the modified watteau back, no doubt)? It's hardly a museum piece, yet, I hesitate. If it were my size, I'd shorten and keep it. But it's not.

Thoughts and opinions, please?

00361-003angle.jpg 00363-003bk.jpg 00363-003close.jpg 00363-003detail.JPG 00363-003int.jpg 00363-003waistStay.JPG 00363-003stain.jpg 00363-003stain2.JPG

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The style of the dress is called a Holomu'u. The label matches the 1970's label in the LR. I think I would try Folex on the spot - or take it to a cleaner for spot cleaning before shortening it. I'd sell it as is - because your buyer might want it a different length than you alter it.

3. Hi Linn. Yes, I recognized the label right away from the LR when I first saw the dress! Thanks for the head's up on the proper name for the style.

Haven't seen Folex before, but will search for it now.

I would be so happy to get these stains out. I think the dress is just adorable.

Thanks, Linn.

4. Hi Linn -- Back from HD and tried the Folex. Didn't work, and I think it's because these "stains" are not true stains. See how the dark splotches are only on the orange fabric? They "jump over" the white. Wouldn't a regular stain just land where it lands? It must be some sort change in the fabric. FYI, it's 100% cotton. Guess I will just sell it as is. Wish it fit me.

p.s. the "atomic starbursts" in the photos are the design on our 1964 formica countertops showing through (in our playroom, not on the dress)

00363-003stainJump.JPG 00363-003stainJump2.JPG

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Too bad the Folex didn't help. I do see what you mean about the splotches being on the orange although it kind of looks like it's almost touching a few of the petals on the smaller flowers- on the very edge. I have no idea if a dry cleaner could do something - I'd probably be afraid to try anything else myself. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

I think selling it as is still makes the most "sense."

6. Yes. True. There's only so much time and effort you can put into a single dress of minimal (monetary) value, even if it were 100% perfect. But it's always hard for me to give up. ; )

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It almost looks like dye run from another garment. I have seen that happen, especially when items have either been kept in a trunk or a basement that may have had some water damage.

8. That is very interesting, Mary Jane, because that is precisely where and how it was kept, and really what it looks like to me, as well.

9. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

wal mart automotive dept...goop. it is worth a try. have had really good luck on cotton without ruining anything

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

If it is dye, rather than dirt, what you can do depends on how colourfast the dye in the original fabric is. If the orange fabric is colourfast, you might be to use some dye removing treatment that will deal with the colour run, but not damage the original fabric. If the fabric isn't colourfast, there won't be much you can do, as anything that will remove the dye stain will also affect the original fabric. Unfortunately though most such treatments do involve soaking! The fact that is says do not soak does suggest it may not be colourfast.

Alcohol is suggested for ink stains, so you could try that. Or spot cleaning with a colour run remover. But test any treatment on an inconspicuous part of the garment first, such inside a seam. Are the stains dark red, or brown? This page is specifically about removing red dye stains from washable fabrics: http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-red-dye-stains2.htm

The fact that it jumps over the white, makes me wonder if there may be a trace left in the fabric of whatever was originally used to create resist in the dyeing process (ie like wax in batik). Just a theory. In fact all these suggestions are just theory - I haven't tried any of them myself! But I really relate to your statement about it being hard to give up!

personally I wouldn't alter it. You can suggest that it could be shortened and leave it to the buyer. Dye stains are less offensive than dirt stains, so I would say that's what you think they are.

11. Great suggestions, everyone, thanks! In the end, I took the 'easy way out,' and made the suggestion to shorten it in the listing. Honestly, the flaw isn't all that noticeable when it's being worn, as there are so many folds, and the pattern is so bold.

If it fit me, I'd spend more time on it, but it's too big, so onward and upward ; ). I figure the money I lose selling it for less (provided it sells, that is), is about equal to the money I'd spend having it shortened properly. Either way, we're not talking about large sums here.

I will bookmark that red-stain removal page. With 3 little kids, it's bound to come in handy sooner or later.

The "skipping over the white" reminded me of batik, as well! One of my favorite activities I did, just once in my life, back at a "fine & performing arts camp" I attended years ago (Belvoir Terrace, Lenox, Mass.).