1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roquelaure

roquelaure Registered Guest

Hi everyone!

I have a pair of pants from the early 70's that I'm pretty sure are wool. The care and content tag is missing, but they still have a hangtag with a WPL number. However, there is also a WPL on the back of the size tag, but it's in a form I've never seen. It might not even be a WPL, but I can't imagine it would be legal to use the abbreviation for anything else on a clothing tag. I tried to look the number up to see if it even came up in the registry, but alas the site is closed because of the government shutdown. Any thoughts on what this second number means? Thanks :) (Please pardon my wackadoo big pictures, I'm posting from a computer with zero photo editing software, so I had to do a printscreen and save.)

Edit: Think I should bump this to the Labels forum? Since it isn't a designer/brand forum I thought I'd start here first...

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This isn't my area at all, but I'm bumping this up in case anyone else can answer.

3. joules

joules VFG Member

There is a bit of sheen that could indicate not all wool, at least to my eye.
    Perhaps ot's the photo though.
    Can you pull an inconspicuous thread and burn test?
    Sorry, no help with the WPL.

(This query would probably not be for the Labels forum area.)

Sad about the shutdown; the effects are wide-ranging indeed.

4. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

I'm no help with the label either but as to the wool, can you iron the fabric on a warm setting with a bit of mist? If you know it, wool has a distinctive smell when warm and moist. Burn test is good to, but this is an easy way to tell if the fiber is wool if you can't get a piece to burn test. I find a blend won't smell nearly as strong. I agree with Joules about the sheen that it could indicate synthetic or a wool blend. Some of the synthetics are very good at looking like wool.
    Julia