1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrinkled prom dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Joji Furukawa, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I just found what I think is a 1950s prom dress that is horribly wrinkled. It appears to be unworn as a cluster of extra buttons is attached to the waist. I'm wondering how to get the wrinkles out. I don't think the material is anything special, maybe a polyester. Would you iron this? Also is this washable? It's quite yellowed from years of storage. I've attached images of the dress and the underside of the layers. Thank you! (Sorry pictures are uploading sideways.)

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This looks much older to me, 1930s. It's difficult to determine the fabric but from the photos it looks like it could be silk.

It would be difficult to wash because of the covered buttons which would likely rust. Also depending on the condition of the silk it could
    deteriorate.

Let's see what others have to say...nice find!

Joji Furukawa likes this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

steam works like a dream, Joji. I like a big canister steamer (Jiffy is terrific) since i do a lot of it, but there are quite a few hand held steamers, now too...although i've never tried a small hand steamer, so I"m not sure how truly helpful they are.

steaming something like this is much more efficient (and effective) than trying to iron. :)

4. Joji Furukawa

Mary Jane, that's interesting! I thought it looked very 1950s with the huge full circle skirt but maybe it's not? It's almost impossible for me to do a burn test as there is no excess. The seams were pinked and then the pinked edges were then sewn down. I think this is a tailor made garment or else a very experienced home sewer made it.

5. Joji Furukawa

Mary thank you for the tip, I've never tried steam but from your description is sounds really good! I'm kind of on a budget right now as I'm saving up for a school trip but do you think if I left this in the bathroom during a warm shower it might have the same effect?

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, a steamer will be more powerful at getting all the wrinkles out - there you have the steam outlet in your hand and get much closer to get all those nasty wrinkles out. I never thought I'd ever buy a steamer, but it really is a great thing. But I would by all means hang it in the bathroom and the steam will probably help to at least make it look a bit better. When I travel it's what I do with things that I don't want to try the iron in the hotel room on or if I don't have time to do that. It does help.

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I definitely second owning a steamer. I use mine nearly every single day. If I had to do without and needed to get this dress smoothed out I would use a cloth between it and your iron. I think the dress could be 30s too, but my first choice would be 50s with the way the bodice is shaped and the piping at the waist. It may be acetate. Some people might dare wash something like this, but I tend to go to a dry cleaners that works from various angles on my vintage items; they will wet clean if they believe it will work best.

8. cozmicstar

cozmicstar Registered Guest

Could you use the steamer option on your iron? You'd need to be very careful of it splashing water which could cause marks but just a thought. Perhaps a very light tea towel would allow the steam but prevent any water getting on the dress.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's not the same - there is something about the steady stream of steam that works wonders that a blast of steam from the iron just doesn't do. I also recommend investing in a steamer - its also faster than ironing and is gentler on the fibres.

10. cozmicstar

cozmicstar Registered Guest

It's just because Joji is on a budget, I was trying to think of other options :) I totally want a steamer, do folks have recommendations?

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

cozmicstar and Joji Furukawa like this.
  12. Joji Furukawa

Hi Jonathan, I hadn't realized there were smaller steamers! Thank you for the link! I took the plunge (literally) and washed the dress. It's definitely not silk, more like nylon so 1950s I think. Washing had no effect other than that the water was very yellow afterwards and also the tape that gives the edges of the layers extra think was has gone all funny. I think I'll invest in a steamer it seems like the best option but thank you cozmicstar for your suggestion.

cozmicstar likes this.
  13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks early/mid 50s to me - those multiple button and loop closures were big on wedding dresses in the 40s/50s, and I bet this was made as a bridal party dress.

cozmicstar and Joji Furukawa like this.