1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WW2 US Navy Uniforms

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Nov 24, 2020.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

A friend of mine came to me for help with his grandfather’s WW2 navy uniforms. His sister had them stored in a cedar chest in a basement, so they reek of cedar, basement funk and cigarette smoke. I’ve got them hanging up to be aired out. I’m wondering as far as the white uniforms, is there any reason why I can’t toss them in a washer with some bleach? Or maybe an alternative, vintage safe, whitener? I think the blue ones are wool. I have a boatload of woolite if anyone thinks those are safe to hand wash? Thanks for any suggestions.

5B266951-D339-4D9E-BFA0-D5223A3A7731.jpeg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I would not use bleach for any of these. An unlined white cotton could be soaked with detergent and an oxygen bleach. I'd leave it to soak for a day or more. The wool I would dry clean. Maybe someone else has experience that could give you a washing solution.

lkranieri likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Military collectors like items as found - not pristinely laundered, so I wouldn't do anything more than a quick hand wash on the whites to freshen them up, and as Maggie said - dry clean the woollens, which should remove all the smells.

4. I agree with Jonathan. I have sold numerous WW II uniforms over the years, and the collectors and re enactors did not want them pristine. As found as Jonathan said. I hang outside and use diluted tea tree oil if there is a musty smell. Even the whites I didnt launder.

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If you have a dry-cleaners that does ozone treatments, that is very good for removing odors without the stresses of dry-cleaning.

6. Blondzai

Blondzai Registered Guest

You could try to spritz with white vinegar and hang outside. Then give them a good steam and usually that gets rid of odors enough for me. I think I remember someone recommending vodka to get rid of odors as well.

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Yes, we used to use vodka at the theatre between dry-cleanings. But it needs a good airing after!

8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I ended up giving them back to him, everything hung on hangers, with the advice of just letting them hang around unless he wanted to take them to a cleaners.

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I haven't had a lot of USN whites pass through my hands, but there is a market for the stove pipe wool pants with the flap front, and I have generally picked them up whenever I run a cross them. They are very flattering on women. I loved wearing them when I was in my 20s and 30s. The wool tops? Not so much. More costume than fashion.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.