1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Year for this 21 club scarf?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by prettyold, Aug 2, 2013.

1. prettyold

prettyold Registered Guest

Hi all,

I found this 21 club scarf at an estate sale yesterday and I'm trying to nail down in which year it was made. I'm just learning about the history of these scarves and have a guess that it's from either the late 60s or early 70s -- it's numbered XVI and the best I've been able to find so far is that they began giving them as gifts to their regulars sometime in the 50s. I've also found literally nothing on the Keyheart Scarfs company referenced on the tag.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Lauren

21clubscarf_whole.jpg 21clubscarf_design.jpg 21clubscarf_detail.jpg 21clubscarf_tag.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

What is the 21 club?

3. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

It's a restaurant/bar in NYC on 52nd st, that has all those jockey statues outside of it.

4. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

yeah- I was wondering what the 21 club was too , thanks Tiffany !

5. prettyold

Sorry! Yes, it's a restaurant that has been around since the early 1920s and it was a speakeasy during prohibition. It's one of those restaurants where celebrities have regular tables and US presidents go there to eat. They started this custom of giving scarves to their regulars at Christmas time each year -- they were never for sale, so they're apparently coveted by collectors.

6. sewingmachinegirl

Wow- that restaurant sounds neat !

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am on my iPad, so I can't see or look up the full citation, but I found a link to the 1964 Official Gazette of the US Patent Office that says: "Andrew Geller, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y. Filed Dec. 20, 1962. AD LIB KEYHEART For Ladies' and Misses' Shoes. First use Dec. 11, 1962. For Ladies' Bonnets, Hats, Hoods, Shrugs, Dickies, Boleros, Scarves, Mufflers, and Jackets. First use Mar. 1, 1962 on ladies' scarves. SN 160,818.

I don't know if the Andrew Geller at the beginning and/or the SN number at the end are run-togethers from other patents. I will try to look it up when I am back at my desktop computer tonight.

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found an image of the Keyheart logo and it looks like the Ad Lib was a run-together from another patent on the same page, and to the left. I took a screen print of the logo (just block letters) with my iPad, but I don't know if I can post it here from the iPad.

I forgot to mention that I find it very odd that your label doesn't spell the plural of 'scarf' correctly.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

11. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

This scarf in a different colorway is illustrated in The Scarf, by Andrew Baseman. According to him, they began giving out the scarves in the early 1950s, so that would make your number 16 be in the mid to late 1960s.

21 is still there on 52nd Street and here is the Google maps street view.

12. sewingmachinegirl

:clapping:Love all those little jockey figures on the verandah!

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a wonderful scarf. I have been fortunate enough to have dined at 21 a few times in my life. I admit I did not catch the reference of "The 21 Club" in your post, as we usually just refer to it as simply "21". As in "meet you later at 21".

I did not know about the scarves. How neat!

14. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is the 1962-64 trademarked logo for Keyheart. Note the "R" and "S" at the top of the 'key.' You can see that Ray Strauss Unlimited, Inc. owns the Keyheart logo. In a quick look I saw ads for Ray Strauss scarves around the late 1960s-early 1970s. Ray Strauss' daughter's wedding announcement noted that her father, Ray Strauss, "...is president of Ray Strauss, Unlimited, designers and manufacturers of women's scarves and representatives for foreign scarf makers." That is obviously the Japanese connection.

KeyheartScarvesSmlr.jpg

15. prettyold

WOW. Thank you all so much for this help. Learning experiences like this are exactly why I love vintage.

Ikranieri, thanks especially for doing so much in-depth research. I'd seen Ray Strauss's name mentioned as a particularly coveted era for these scarves, so it's wonderful to have that connection drawn for me. I really appreciate the work you've done to help me solve this mystery!