Year of this brass charm bracelet?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Label Q & A' started by lindapoirier, Jul 17, 2019.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

My best friend gifted me this charm bracelet because he knows I love charms. I have never seen this brass type with small charms. The chain is ever so tiny for a charm bracelet as well. The eye glasses are mechanical too!! I don't know about the star charm... Masonic? Also, I don't know about the diamond-shaped charm... a sword with a snake wrapped around it. Anyone able to shed some light?

IMG_3712.JPG

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Linn

Linn Trade Member

Linda,

I'm not an expert on dating charm bracelets or on charms or charm bracelets but it's an interesting subject! Could you take closer photos of the charms that you are asking about as well as the other charms, and give some measurements? The metal color looks like silver tone on my monitor.

The charm with a snake wrapped around a sword might be (according to a search I just did):

The symbol with one snake and a staff (not a sword) is the Rod of Asclepius. Two entertwined snakes and a winged rod is a Caduceus.

3. lindapoirier

Okay, I will do all that tomorrow. I am on my way to work right now. Thank you.

4. lindapoirier

Sorry, my work weak is four daze of late nights and hazy days. I.E. I get tired.

Here are some, hopefully, helpful photos.
    IMG_3713.JPG

To clarify, 9.25 millimetres.

IMG_3714.JPG

From left to right: rocking chair, cabinet radio and magazine rack.

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

Edit. There are 104 loops on the chain. Not counting the clasp and clasp loop ( on the other end ).

5. Linn

Linn Trade Member

As you know, charm bracelets can be added to over many years but my guess on this one is 1930s. I know you're really busy but if you could get clearer closeups of the charm with the snake and the circular ones on either end someone might be able to tell you what they are. Whatever they represent - it's really "charming."

My 1930s guess is based on the scale of the bracelet, the brass chain, the radio cabinet style, the eyeglasses style and the really small scale. I am not an expert on charm bracelets and welcome what others may think.

6. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing Trade Member

7. lindapoirier

In searching, I am positive it is a Masonic bracelet. The gavel means it was a "master's" bracelet. Possibly called a matron when it was a woman. The Eastern Star had men and women but would probably have been mostly women. "In Eastern Star, Adah is represented by the color blue and a sword and VEIL. Adah represents the virtue of obedience to duty."

Eastern Star established, 1850 and adopted in 1873.

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

Edit to add clasp photo. Kind of looks like it was repaired? Adding because it might be a way to date the bracelet?

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  8. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing Trade Member

The "sport ring" clasp looks circa 1930s to me, so that does help.