1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You say purse, I say handbag...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Retro Ruth, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

As the quote says, we are divided by a common language, and I'd be glad of some translation.

I know that in the US, and I guess in Canada too, what I call a handbag is called a purse. And as you probably know in the UK a purse means something rather different, ie a ladies wallet.

What I'm wondering is, does purse mean a particular kind of bag, such as a small one? If you carry a bag big enough to hold three books, a bottle of water and your lunch, do you still call it a purse?

Does the word handbag have meaning across the pond, or is it a strange Britishism, like faucet is a strange Americanism to me - I know what it means but I would never use it.

And I'd love to know what you call your bag in Australia.

Or if you are a not a native English speaker, which words do you use if you are describing your bag in English?

I'm partly just curious, as I'm deeply fascinated by linguistics, but this is also to help me for my international marketing for titles and descriptions. With the £ the way it is, I find I'm selling abroad a lot on ebay right now, and bags seem to be an easy sell too.

Any responses gratefully received!

Ruth

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I tend to think of a handbag more in the terms of a purse that you can only carry using your hands. A handbag to me is more conservative, like those smaller leather ones from the 50s and 60s. Small handled.

3. Interesting. I can't answer for everyone but I do know what a handbag is. I am familiar with that term but do not use it in my everyday life. My Italian aunt from NY calls her purse a pocketbook. I have no idea where that term comes from but I do hear people use it.
    Mostly people around here will call a purse a purse or also sometimes just a bag as in 'hand me my bag' or 'I forgot my bag'. Bigger bags like the ones you take to school with two shoulder straps I call a backpack or knapsack or bookbag. Curious what others say...

4. Retro Ruth

Interesting about pocketbook, what a lovely word. I read something recently about the word "pocket" originally meaning a small drawstring bag that women carried inside their clothes, I think somehow attached to the waist band of a skirt or something. And that that is what is meant in the rhyme "Lucy Locket lost her pocket".

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I call mine a "hand bag" although I have also used the term pocketbook and purse . I think the terms are interchangeable in the US - depending on the age of the person using the term and perhaps the region of the country where they live. I've even heard the term "bag" used. During most of the '80's and '90's I used to buy "shoulder bags".

Linn

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Beyond a certain size, and I'm likely to call it a tote. I use the term purse for mine. Handbag sounds formal to my ears, and as with Mary Jane, like something I need to use my hands to deal with. I love my vintage handbags but I'm always afraid I'm going to set it down and forget it. My everyday purse slings over my shoulder where I'm aware of it without having to think about it.

7. Linn

Ruth -

Just curious - what do you call a "faucet?" Spigot?

Back on topic, I do use my vintage "hand bags" but most of the time I use an "all purpose" bag with a long pouch like shape, that closes with a zipper, and has two straps that I usually hang on my shoulder.

Linn

8. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Well..in the East, its a pocket book...or a "pockabook"

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am inclined to refer to purses as the generic term for all types and then break them down into shoulder bags - long handles for slipping over your shoulder, handbags - small handles for looping over your wrist, and clutches - no extruding handle, for holding in your hand. Pocketbook is a very American term, its never used in Canada except by an American.

10. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Interesting thread!

I use "purse" as generic term for anything smaller in size than a backpack, etc. Although some of the modern purses I've seen out there recently are bigger than my carry-on luggage!

I also tend to use "handbag" to mean a more tailored or formal bag with a short strap or handle (like many vintage ones), as opposed to a casual shoulder bag or an evening "clutch" (which is also technically a "handbag" since you have to hold it in your hand, but oh well . . .)

"Pocketbook" is a word I associate with ladies of an older generation: my great-grandmother used it, sometimes my grandmother did, but not my mother, for example.

For keywords on my website, I tend to use purse, bag and handbag for everything except an evening clutch (purse, clutch, bag, evening), to catch more searchers (I hope!).

11. Retro Ruth

Thanks for all the responses, this is really interesting!

We call it a tap!

And in the UK a purse is what you keep your cash and credit cards in. Only for women - men have wallets, women have purses. So I have a purse in my handbag! We never use the term purse for a bag here, I used to get very confused when I heard it used that way on American TV shows. Don't really hear tote bag used here much either.

Ruth

12. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi-ya from Australia!

In Australia they are definitely handbags, as you said, a purse is what you you put your money in, within your handbag as is usually small to wallet sized!. Handbags are never called purses here .

Handbags here can be all shapes and sizes, or then you get evening bags,clutch bags etc.

Tote is rarely used here, but is catching on- as everythng American infiltrates our launguage eventually ;)

cheers,Gayle x

13. Linn

Speaking of the term "purse"most "hand bags" from the '40's- '50's came with a "change purse.". Here's a '50's alligator handbag with a change purse and a mirror:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linn

14. Retro Ruth

I love a vintage bag that still has the coin purse! And that's a beauty Linn.

Reading this, I realise I tend to say rucksack rather than backpack, for a double strapped bag worn on the back. I use backpack too, but rucksack is more natural to me. I think rucksack came into English from German. Though I'd never say 'rucksacking' the way people say 'backpacking around the world'! Knapsack I never use, I don't think that's much said in the UK .

15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

And I KNOW fannypack is unheard of your side of the pond... it's even dirty!

16. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Here in the South, I grew up with the word pocketbook, but also heard purse and handbag and bag as synonyms. We use the term "change purse" to refer to a little snap purse.

Interestingly, my father always referred to his billfold as his pocketbook. Which makes sense if you think about it...

17. Jonathan, you're quite right about fanny: it means a woman's crotch (is that polite enough?).

Agree with Gayle about handbags etc and we have taps too instead of faucets. But we have trucks instead of the UK lorries so we're a mixture of US and UK and when it comes to food, we have the Italian zucchinis instead of the French courgettes. It's a fascinating subject, the different usages of words.

When I was in the UK, they told me not to use "back yard" as "garden" was the preferred term.

Nicole

18. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

I remember when I first started selling on ebay, someone said to be sure and put handbag and purse in the title :D We say purse here for just about everything!! ...coin purse for the little snap version.

19. Retro Ruth

Fannypack oh yes, goodness me! The first time I heard that my eyes popped! "I beg your pardon?!"

You do hear bum bag, which I think means the same thing, but I'd call it a money belt. In fact I've just been thinking I need one for doing my vintage stall!

Ruth

20. Great thread! Like Marie (Vintage Peddler) most in my circles call whatever they carry a bag. My mom always called the little snap ones a change purse and the ones for change, bills and checkbooks a wallet.