1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your help on this WWI-photo

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JohanHugo, Jul 9, 2016.

1. JohanHugo

JohanHugo Registered Guest

Hi all!

I'm (sort of) reconstructing and colorizing this photo for my girlfriend but.. I'm stuck already :)
    This photo was taken in Cuba around 1915 and the man on the horse was British.

1. I know very little about use of colour in those days, do you think his clothing is mostly browns or could it be bright too? is there any place I can see similair styles?

2.The short tie, anyone knows more about it? Was it just fashion or could it also be a status-thing?

Thank you in advance very much!

Johan

Amsterdam, Netherlands

[​IMG]

2. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

Hi!
    Just an educated guess- I doubt his clothing was any bright colour, it was likely grey or brown. My great uncles all fought in WW1 and were from Somerset in Britain, and their uniforms were khaki brown or a sort of greenish brown colour, and my late grandmother (born 1916) always said her memory of men growing up was how dull their clothes were. As to the tie, I don't know, perhaps it was the fashion at that time.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

That is a great photo. As for the tie, yes ties were shorter in that time. Also, most men wore 3 piece suits with a vest, and so the tie was tucked into the vest and did not need to be long. Most men, even when taking off their jackets around the home or doing light work, would roll up their sleeves but always leave their vest on. I wish men still dressed like that!

4. JohanHugo

Yes just browns and greens and dark reds was also what I had in mind! I did found some advertising from that time with bright colours but I suppose those were only for the avant garde :)

5. JohanHugo

Thank you, you might be surprised to hear that the man is no other than Bob Marley's father; Norval Sinclair Marley!
    The short tie makes a lot more sense now, thank you! And especially for you I will buy a 3 piece-suit someday! :)