1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion on this (fake?) Biba jacket?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by missaleecat, May 30, 2015.

1. missaleecat

missaleecat Registered Guest

Hi guys

I found this cute kimono type plaid jacket under a huge pile of clothes down at my local thrift store. When I saw the Biba label I literally did a little happy dance right there in the shop because I've never before found a Biba on my many thrifting adventures ! Now that I've had a good chance to examine it properly, it appears that the label has been stitched on after, but I'm not sure, plus does the label even look authentic to you? I know we can't authenticate on these forums...but I'm just curious what you think? Honestly, I love the jacket regardless...those wide angel sleeves are just amazing!

20150530_131157.jpg 20150530_131257.jpg 20150530_131135.jpg 20150530_131143.jpg

2. Hi Missaleecat - any other labels? I think that Biba did print some labels so I'd be thinking first whether it's early to mid '70s. I'm not sure based on the design but if you could model it, or show it being worn that would help so we could get a feel for the look. Eg, maybe it's just the photo but it looks like it has shoulder pads: surely not? Also - can you tell the fabric composition.

An authentic '70s Biba label should have some care instructions if nothing else.

3. missaleecat

missaleecat Registered Guest

Hi Nicole

There are other labels on the jacket, but they are sadly perished, other than the size label. Says 14 but fits like a UK 10.
    20150531_103926.jpg

It does have shoulderpads...but they are quite thin and don't add much structure to the jacket. It is the way the shoulder panels are constructed that give the shoulders their strong look...if you know what I mean.
    20150531_103945.jpg

I'm not sure of the fabric, it's quite lightweight and soft and a bit scratchy, here is a closeup pic:
    20150531_103956.jpg

Here is a picture of me wearing the jacket....any idea on dating?
    20150531_103451-1-1-01.jpeg

TIA
    x

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Frankly, it looks like Biba to me - great style, crappy sewing.

5. Yeah, I tend to agree Jonathan.

I'm inclined to think it's authentic too. The fabric is probably a wool mix.