1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your thoughts on dating 2 slips

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Midge, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

The last of my finds of the last four weeks... this slightly kitschy nylon tricot slip. I'm just curious about dating it. It was a dead stock piece, with a still attached paper tag. In all six Humana shops we visited, we found several similar or same slips and nighty & negligee sets with these Italian labels - they must have gotten loads of them. There were other colors too, but they were all bigger. Other colors of the same or similar slips were white, pink, lilac and lemon yellow - a whole rainbow!

gara5.jpg gara6.jpg gara1.jpg gara2.jpg gara3.jpg gara4.jpg
    The paper tag talks about how to wash and iron the nylon fabric, and in general about it's advantages - at least that's what I understand with my sparse knowledge of Italian. So nylon was officially called "nailon" in Italy. The maker of this slip was Gara, about which I found nothing. Rhodiatoce it seems was the official maker of nylon fabrics. The company was colled Rhodiatoce as of 1951, but until when that name was used isn't clear to me.
    My initial though on dating this had been 1960s?

Second up - this was the first vintage slip I ever bought. By Hanro, nylon tricot and lace, non-adjustable straps. The Hanro logo is classic and was used for a long time. Shop label is from Wollen-Keller in Zurich, which doesn't exist anymore. The trade register says it was first registered there in 1957, but other search results point to the fact that a shop of that name already existed by the early 1930s...
    hanro3.jpg hanro4.jpg hanro1.jpg hanro2.jpg

It's actually fairly long - someone had just shortened it, I later opened that seam to let it down to full length. My hunch was 1960s as well... but then I'm not sure the size XS already existed then? Hanro exported a lot, so I'm not surprised at their using this English way of sizing things. I'd like to submit Hanro to the label resource too with a short company description.

Thanks!

Karin

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree with 60's for the blue slip, the white one is harder, as there's not so much style wise to go on. Could you upload a closeup of the lace? I'm thinking later for that one due to the length.

3. Midge

4. Midge

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I wonder if the white slip might be early 1950's. The shaping, length, lavish use of lace and explanation of nylon suggest that to me.
    Marian

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Both darling, Karin!

I would say 60s on the blue one as well. The white one is more difficult, and honestly, my very first impression is 70s. Although the non-adjustable straps have me thrown. Are the straps stretchy or "fixed"? I have an Olga slip from the 70s that has non-adjustable, but stretchable, straps. Nylon tricot was widely used in the 70s, though it was, of course, used earlier. Without seeing it closer up or having it in my hands, it is very hard to tell on this one.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The blue one looks 60s to me as well...I think the white one may be older though from the 50s. It's tough with these kinds of items when you are not actually handling them. I find the label looks older than 60s.

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree the label looks older than 60s or 70s, but most of the early 50s' and earlier slips I've had have not been nylon tricot knit.... They've been woven nylon or rayon or acetate. The combination of the older-looking label and the "newer" fabric is a conundrum.

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

10. Midge

Thanks for the info, everybody! The straps on the white slip are fixed, it's a satin ribbon, so not stretchy. I checked how they're attached to the slip, and that looks all original. The trouble with the label is, that Hanro used the same logo for decades, from what I can see. Their company history doesn't show a lot of pictures, but I'd say this logo was in use from the 50s to the 70s at least. So I think we should go with the newer look & fabric. Hanro is such an icon as a company, but finding info about their vintage things is hard! And they're only starting to catalog their archive - the announcement was made last February that they received funding for that. A state-owned museum is involved too, and they are talking about an online database. But it'll take til 2014 at least!

Karin