1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YSL Sample or Runway Piece?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lydiamrie, Mar 2, 2020.

1. lydiamrie

lydiamrie Registered Guest

I am looking for any insight on this jacket that anyone may be able to give! Some of the stitching is hand done. There is no label just the YSL buttons. The fabrics are quality and I think are taffeta and satin. Color is black with black ribbon that seems to be faded. Some thread is blue. THANK YOU!

Attached Files:

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

It doesn't look like YSL to me. What is handsewn?

3. lydiamrie

Thanks for chiming in! The hemline and the button holes are hand sewn

4. claireshaeffer

The fabric doesn't look right for YSL . Since it is unlined, the wrong side should be cleaner; some edges are raw with no seam finish. It's possible that the lining was removed, but there are other issues as well.
    The fabric or bound buttonholes are poorly made: the welts are uneven and the fabric shows at the ends.
    YSL usually has hand-made thread buttonholes. When they are fabric, the welts are narrow and even.

5. lydiamrie

Yes, I agree with all of your points, especially for a finished piece going to market. The back seam is finished which is why I was thinking it may be a runway piece. In my research I’ve read that pieces are not finished for runway, just representatives. Inventory is manufactured then according to orders. Are you familiar with that side of the industry?

6. claireshaeffer

I knew a small House that didn't finish the insides unless it was sold. I don't think that was the case at YSL. Even if it were, it would have been finished on the inside when it was sold.

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The other possibility to consider is that someone changed the original buttons on the garment, to these YSL ones. It might help to see how the buttons have been sewn.

8. lydiamrie

Good info! Thanks. That’s why I’m wondering if this was never sold. Do you know what dates this type of ribbon detailed fabric was popular?

9. lydiamrie

Hi! Yes, that was my first thought. The buttons are hand sewn very professionally. Another mystery in view of the whole garment.

10. claireshaeffer

Many of the YSL buttons are sewn so they do not fall over or droop when unbuttoned. Almost anyone doing better sewing, sews them with a stem that is wrapped with thread.