1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YSL silk scarf unusual pattern--Any info appreciated.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintage_59, Jan 29, 2023.

1. vintage_59

vintage_59 Registered Guest

Could someone tell me how to describe the unusual pattern of this 33" x 33" YSL scarf--and any other information about this scarf Thank you. I am looking for some key search words so I can find the same or similar scarf. I have been searching but --because I don't know how to describe it--I have not been able to find anything like this scarf.

DSCN4195.JPG DSCN4197.JPG DSCN4196.JPG

2. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

Perhaps something in the retro paisley damask school of thought? Not an expert but to me it looks like they've maybe started with an art deco damask, in a then used a Paisley treatment on the tiling and pattern repeats and then it's a super retro colourway. Looking at YSL scarves available it seems they did quite a lot of experimenting with abstracted paisleys, maybe a starting point?

vintage_59 likes this.
  3. vintage_59

Thank you very much. I just tried searching on ebay with those words--"art deco," "damask" and "retro" and many of the results were close to what I have. I would never known about those key search words so again thank you. The search yielded scarves with bright colors with intricate patterns. Most sold items are around $50-$70 but some are over $200. Most YSL silk scarves on the high-end websites are priced over $200.

I don't know anything about scarfs and am wondering if silk scarfs are big seller? And if possible if someone could tell me what they think of the scarf overall eg. pattern not attractive vs attractive.. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  4. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

I'm not an experienced seller so can't speak to how well scarves sell, I'm sure someone here can offer some advice on scarf popularity and the types of design that are generally popular or collectible. Condition will have the biggest impact, pulls, holes, fading and colour bleeds will impact the value.

For my part I think it's a nice pattern, not to my taste, but I'm sure with the brand there'll be interested folks. I'll leave that to the experts though, glad I could help with the pattern a bit :)

vintage_59 likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing 70s with this one. I might use psychedelic paisley as a keyword for this one.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I find silk scarves to be a good seller in general. I don't really know what makes the difference between a $50 and $200 one though!

A good term to know is 'hand-rolled edge' - it's a sign of a quality scarf, and yours appears to have one (as I would expect from YSL).

Your is also quite large which I assume is desirable.

Agree with paisley - it's not a standard paisley, but it qualifies.

7. vintage_59

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me this excellent and useful information including several key words for my searches and good tips like looking for "hand-rolled edges" and looking closely at the quality. Again I greatly appreciate the feedback.

One interesting thing I have noticed when researching YSL vintage silk scarfs is that I never see two of the same. In some searches there are over 200 listed but each is different.

Another thing I tried for the first time is a "Google image search" where it searches by an image instead of a keywords It turned up several images close to mine. But the best search results I have are from ebay, "ebay sold" and keyword searches in search engines and then selecting "images" ito view the results.
    Again thank you.

Retro Ruth and PhoenixSisters like this.
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

And many of them were made in Switzerland - and YSL was probably one of the best customers of Abraham, where he got most of the gorgeous silk fabrics for this designs. The Swiss Textile Collection had an exhibition focused on YSL a few years ago and there were tons of scarves on display. I checked my photos, unfortunately I couldn't find yours.

vintage_59 and Retro Ruth like this.