1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yves Saint Laurent at the Swiss Textile Collection

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I have written about the Swiss Textile Collection some time ago on my blog: https://dollsfashionart.blogspot.ch/2014/08/swiss-textile-collection-great.html
    A fabulous enterprise started by Rosmarie Amacher, Zurich's couturière. The goal is not just to preserve this fabulous couture collection, but also to educate interested people - and to use the collection to let people see and understand, to let them test and inspect. This is not a "no touch" collection :). The collection has since my visit some 3 years ago moved to Murg, a small town on Lake Walensee, into some rooms in an old spinning works (another part of the building is now a hotel), which seems fitting. There they run workshops for sewing techinques and similar, they have, as I discovered today, a mouthwatering library of fashion and art books and magazines, and they also do "open days" once a month when one can visit and see things - and they do vintage sales as well, selling vintage clothes that have been donated to them, as a way to make money to keep the collection going. They also run fashion exhibitoins in other places, and loan items for exhibitions.
    Now they have launched an exhibition of vintage silk scarves by Yves Saint Laurent (see https://www.swisstextilecollection.ch/ - unfortunately only in German so far - an English website is in the works they told me). As I am a member of the STC, I received an invitation for today's opening, so there I went. I admit I somehow haven't been able to make time for other activities they've been involved in so far... and I admit also, it's a bit of a trek to get there, but it was very well worth it!
    The whole thing is quite informal. The scarves are in the largest part from the collection of a lady who worked for Abraham silk - who provided YSL with most silk fabrics since the 60s - as a pattern/fabric designer (if you want to know more about Abraham... I blogged about them too when we had the big exhibition here in Zurich some years ago: https://dollsfashionart.blogspot.ch/2010/12/christmas-presents-scarf-day-pirate.html). How wonderful is that? The scarves were presented hung up on iconic Stewi drying racks, and one could just wander about them. Also, there were fabric samples from Abraham on show, and of course YSL items from the collection (though not only couture, but also a fair amount of Rive Gauche items). It was beautiful - colorful, lively, one could just walk around, also through to the library, and then the back room which held the items for sale (mostly late 60s to today, a lot of designer/brand name things). It was fabulous - everybody was very friendly, it was a great atmosphere! More than one lady recognised right away that I was wearing a vintage YSL scarf myself (how could I not?!), including Rosmarie Amacher herself, who is a very nice lady (and I may add that I also own a suit by her, thanks to my thrifting habit :)). And now... here's the photos!
    IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG IMG_1375.JPG
    Abraham silk samples.
    IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1382.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1388.JPG
    This is how they show the stored collection... ooohh, I just wanna play a little here! :hysterical:
    IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1399.JPG
    Love the colors on this 80s dress!
    IMG_1406.JPG IMG_1409.JPG IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1424.JPG IMG_1430.JPG
    The library... they have stacks and stacks of vintage L'Officiel!
    IMG_1433.JPG
    Exquisite fabric!
    IMG_1448.JPG IMG_1452.JPG IMG_1455.JPG
    I want all of these...
    IMG_1457.JPG
    ... and these too!
    IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1467.JPG IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1483.JPG IMG_1491.JPG
    And did I buy something? Actually yes, I did... a ca. 80s printed wool skirt, a more modern silk blouse and some beautiful Armani fabric (probably a leftover from the fabric store that Amacher runs as well) - enough in any case to make a dress! And, may I say, prices were very fair.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

How tempting everything must have been! Looking forward to seeing what you purchased!

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I so appreciate your helping me to feel a part of the world with your reports and photos. Thank you again and again.
    Marian